Get the Free Ebook
The Internet of Things (IoT) is growing fast. According to the International Data Corporation (IDC), more than 28 billion things will be connected to the Internet by 2020—from smartwatches and other wearables to smart cities, smart homes, and smart cars. This O’Reilly report dives into the IoT industry through a series of illuminating talks and case studies presented at 2015 Strata + Hadoop World Conferences in San Jose, New York, and Singapore.
Among the topics in this report, you’ll explore the use of sensors to generate predictions, using data to create predictive maintenance applications, and modeling the smart and connected city of the future with Kafka and Spark.
Case studies include:
- Using Spark Streaming for proactive maintenance and accident prevention in railway equipment
- Monitoring subway and expressway traffic in Singapore using telco data
- Managing emergency vehicles through situation awareness of traffic and weather in the smart city pilot in Oulu, Finland
- Capturing and routing device-based health data to reduce cardiovascular disease
- Using data analytics to reduce human space flight risk in NASA’s Orion program
This report concludes with a discussion of ethics related to algorithms that control things in the IoT. You’ll explore decisions related to IoT data, as well as opportunities to influence the moral implications involved in using the IoT.
Fill out the form below
All fields are required.We protect your privacy.