Get Certified So You Can:
- Demonstrate validation for your expertise.
- Meet global standards for applications and distributions.
- Stay up to date with the latest advances in Spark.
- Be a part of the growing Spark developers community.
Register for Your Exam Today
There are two ways to take the Developer Certification for Apache Spark exam.
Anytime, anywhere. Register for an exam by creating an account on Kryterion.
Over 700 Kryterion test centers worldwide are available for you to take the exam in-person. View a schedule of upcoming dates and register for an exam by creating an account on Kryterion.
Sign up to be notified about future exam prep and certification opportunities.
To prepare for the Spark certification exam, we recommend that you:
- Are comfortable coding the advanced exercises in Spark Camp or a related training (example exercises can be found here). Spark Camp and Spark Advanced Trainings are held at Strata+Hadoop World events. Additional training opportunities are provided by Databricks.
- Watch Introduction to Apache Spark by Paco Nathan. In this video training, you’ll complete hands-on technical exercises, and get up to speed on how to use Spark for data exploration, analysis, and building big data applications in Python, Java, or Scala.
- Have mastered the material in the O’Reilly book Learning Spark.
- Have some hands-on experience developing Spark apps in production already.
- If you are taking the exam online, please read the Test Taker Guide at least 48 hours in advance. This guide includes hardware and software requirements for your computer and specific requirements for an external camera. All online test-takers must be equipped with an external USB web-camera that meet these requirements. You will not be allowed to use your computer’s internal camera.
- The online exam contains some known issues and bugs. Please read this information for workarounds and support.
- If you are in China, ChinaHadoop delivers Spark classes in Chinese. Register for the online course.
What It Means
Certified Spark developers have established expertise with Apache Spark.
- We Set the Bar High. Many who have taken the exam remarked it is more difficult than most certifications, but appropriately so. The exam test for knowledge that is only gained by actually writing Spark apps.
- Industry Experience. We calibrated the exam so that learning about Spark through a course or a book was not enough. Developers must have practice deploying Spark applications in production in order to pass.
- Engineering Breadth. The exam covers Spark API usage across Scala, Java, Python, and SQL, as well as how to integrate streaming analytics, machine learning, and graph algorithms atop the Spark core. The breadth of engineering knowledge required to pass the exam signals a generalist-type skill set that brings value and agility to any engineering team.
- Theory meets Best Practices. In order to pass the exam, developers must understand the theory of how Spark operates on a cluster. Developers must be able to recognize code that is more parallel, and less memory constrained, and they must show how to apply best practices to avoid runtime issues and performance bottlenecks.
- Keeping Pace with Industry Innovations. Certified developers have demonstrated their understanding of the latest advances in the industry. They have learned about the paradigm shift—beyond the point of simply memorizing a different set of API calls. Developers who pass the exam understand how Spark features and practices are distinguishable from using MapReduce in Hadoop, for example.
For questions related to certification, contact email@example.com
Apache Spark, Spark, and Apache are trademarks of the Apache Software Foundation and are used with permission. The ASF has no affiliation with and does not endorse, or review the materials provided for the certification, which is managed by O’Reilly Media and/or Databricks.