Press Release: March 10, 2006
Repairing & Upgrading Your PC: Keep Your PC Upgraded and Humming at Peak Performance
Sebastopol, CA--Most people take their cars to a service station, whether it's for a standard oil change or a more complex tune-up. But what if you didn't have to? What if you had a complete guide to car repair and could do it yourself? You could save money and impress colleagues by becoming a savvy do-it-yourselfer. Likewise with your home computer. Armed with the right guide and the right tools, you could easily get inside your PC and have it running smoothly at top performance. Repairing and Upgrading Your PC (O'Reilly, $34.99)is just the guide for your at-home PC Service Station. It delivers start-to-finish instructions, simple enough for even the most inexperienced PC owner, for troubleshooting, repairing, and upgrading your computer.
Written by hardware experts Robert Bruce Thompson and Barbara Fritchman Thompson, Repairing and Upgrading Your PC covers it all: how to troubleshoot a troublesome PC, how to identify which components make sense for an upgrade, and how to tear it all down and put it back together.
"In most parts of the country PC technician time is billed at $60 to $100 per hour. At that rate, it doesn’t take long for the labor bill to outpace the cost of a new PC. Fortunately you can bypass these high labor costs by doing the work yourself," said author Robert Bruce Thompson. "The trick, of course, is knowing what needs to be done and how to do it. That's what this book is about."
Repairing and Upgrading Your PC shows how to repair and upgrade all of your PC's essential components, including:
- Motherboard, CPU, and Memory: Choose the optimal match of these core components to keep your PC running at top speed.
- Hard Drive, Optical Drive, and Removable Storage
- Give your computer what it needs for long-term and short-term storage
- Audio and Video: Enhance your computing experience with the right sound and graphics devices for your needs
- Input Devices: Pick the best keyboard and mouse to keep your hands happy and healthy
- Networking: Set up secure wireless networking to keep the bits flowing between your computers and the outside world
- Cases and Power Supplies: Keep everything running cool and reliably
With its straightforward language, clear instructions, and extensive illustrations, Repairing and Upgrading Your PC makes it a breeze for PC owners of any skill level to grab a wrench, and keep their PCs upgraded and humming at peak performance.
For almost 40 years, O’Reilly Media has provided technology and business training, knowledge, and insight to help companies succeed. Our unique network of experts and innovators share their knowledge and expertise through the company’s Safari training and learning platform and at O’Reilly conferences. As a SaaS learning platform, Safari delivers highly topical and comprehensive technology and business learning solutions to millions of users across enterprise, consumer, and university channels. For more information visit oreilly.com.
Return to: O'Reilly Press Room