Press Release: March 2, 2007
Windows Vista: The Definitive Guide: The Ultimate Resource for Administrators, Power Users, Developers, Seasoned Professionals, and Beginners
Sebastopol, CA--Sure, if you've got time to spare, you can bop over to Second Life or frequent Fark.com. But if the boss wants all the office PCs running Vista immediately or if mastering the new Vista-ready PC is next on your to-do list, chances are you've got no time to waste.
Fortunately William R. Stanek's new book--Windows Vista: The Definitive Guide (O'Reilly, $49.99 US)--can save you time configuring Vista on work and home PCs. The Windows expert and author of 63 books has devoted five years to learning everything he can about Microsoft Vista. And he shares his insight and knowledge in this new, comprehensive reference.
Designed as a one-stop resource, Stanek doesn't dumb down the information. Instead, in clear and concise language he strives to illuminate and deepen readers understanding of Microsoft's new operating system.
"Unlike others, my book doesn't focus on a specific user level. This isn't a lightweight beginner book or a guide written exclusively for developers or administrators," notes Stanek. "The concepts will be valuable to beginners, power users, and seasoned professionals. I explain how features work and how to customize them to meet users' needs. And readers will be able to apply them regardless of which edition of Windows Vista they're using."
Indeed, "Vista is the single most important launch of Windows in the history of Microsoft. Over the next few years, the majority of home and office PCs will transition to the new operating system. Everyone who uses a computer owes it to themselves to familiarize themselves with Microsoft Vista right now," Stanek adds.
After his five-year Vista immersion, Stanek expresses surprise that some have hesitated to adopt the new software. "Vista presents a lot of eye candy, and this may have some believing the operating system is little more than new veneer for the same old software," adds Stanek. "Nothing could be further from the truth."
More about Windows Vista: The Definitive Guide (O'Reilly, $49.99 US):
Every chapter is organized by feature to help you zero in on topics of interest, including how to:
- Set up, customize, and tune Windows Vista--Optimize its appearance and performance; install, configure, and maintain software; customize your hardware; and install printers, scanners and faxes
- Manage your files--Search your computer more efficiently; secure your files and data; share and collaborate; and get the most out of accessories such as the Mobility Center
- Master your digital media--Create media libraries with Media Player; manage digital pictures and videos with Photo Gallery; make DVDs with DVD Maker; and create movies with Movie Maker
- Get connected and start networking--Set up a home or small-office network; learn to use Windows Mail, Calendar, and Meeting Space; conquer Internet Explorer 7; and master on-the-go networking
- Protect your computer--Keep your family safe while on the Internet; set up parental controls and content ratings; navigate the computer security maze; configure Windows Vista’s security features
- Manage and support Windows Vista systems--Deal with user accounts, disks, and drives; handle routine maintenance and troubleshooting; and resolve advanced support and recovery issues
- Learn advanced tips and techniques--Manage the Windows boot environment, explore Group Policy, discover keyboard shortcuts, and much more
Background and market info:
About the authors:William R. Stanek has more than 20 years ofhands-on experience with advanced programming and development. He has written 63 books including "Microsoft Windows Vista Administrator's Pocket Consultant," "Windows Server 2003 Inside Out," "Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 Administrator's Pocket Consultant," and "Microsoft IIS 7.0 Administrator's Pocket Consultant." He served in the Persian Gulf War as a combat crewmember on an electronic warfare aircraft. Currently, he resides in the Pacific Northwest with his wife and children.
For almost 40 years, O’Reilly Media has provided technology and business training, knowledge, and insight to help companies succeed. Our unique network of experts and innovators share their knowledge and expertise through the company’s Safari training and learning platform and at O’Reilly conferences. As a SaaS learning platform, Safari delivers highly topical and comprehensive technology and business learning solutions to millions of users across enterprise, consumer, and university channels. For more information visit oreilly.com.
Return to: O'Reilly Press Room