Press Release: November 6, 2007
Eccentric Cubicle--New from MAKEIs your dreary office cubicle in need of some spice? If so, a new book, Eccentric Cubicle (O'Reilly, $29.99 USD), has your much-needed remedies. Featuring zany and interesting ways to pump some fun into your workspace, Eccentric Cubicle will improve your building and creative skills, while quickly turning your cubicle into an office hot spot. Author Kaden Harris-the unconventional mind behind Eccentric Genius-takes aspiring and die-hard do-it-yourselfers through a highly entertaining gamut of workplace-oriented projects. From desktop guillotines and crossbows to mood-enhancing effects and music makers, these interesting builds combine a wide spectrum of basic shop techniques, alternative materials and designs that are guaranteed to bring some fun into any office environment.
Specific projects include:
- Active Desktop: Over-engineered and cunningly executed, this postmillennial version of the classic French revolutionary guillotine is the last word in cigar accessories. Or desktop snack choppers.
- BallistaMail: This Greco-Roman missile (good for launching spears, javelins and the occasional boulder) scales down to an intimidatingly powerful interoffice mail delivery system. Your memos will never be ignored again!
- Maple Mike: Because golfing is a stepping stone to boardroom success, make your own desktop simulation of the perfect golf swing in one easy-to-use/easy-to-build project.
- Haze-o-Matic 3000: Bring the fog of war to your contract negotiations. Build a mechanism thats as inherently cool as a fog machine and mystify your co-workers!
- The Gysin Device: Harness your subconscious for enhanced creativity with this lucid dream induction deviceall from the comfort of your own cubicle! Sitar not included.
Available online today at www.store.makezine.com, Eccentric Cubicle offers far more than a collection of project how-tos. Filled with oblique industrial design, fabrication philosophies and sardonic social commentary, Eccentric Cubicle offers the reader encouragement to adapt, modify and hack their way through their builds. The books overall intent is to infuse the new-school Do-It-Yourself community with a therapeutic dose of slightly non-Euclidean engineering, classic shop techniques and surreally interpreted physics, explains Harris. The projects are intended to make people say, It does WHAT?!
Kaden Harris makes antiques from a parallel universe: museum-quality miniature catapults and machina arcana, handcrafted corporate gifts, and executive rewards. He lives in Vancouver, B.C., with his wife, "The Sourceress," and six shopcats: Tolka, Miqo, Aggie, Jasper, Pugsley, and The Giant Cat-Bear.Eccentric Cubicle
ISBN: 0-596-51054-3, 391 pages, $29.99 USD, £18.50 GBP
O’Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, and conferences. Since 1978, O’Reilly Media has been a chronicler and catalyst of cutting-edge development, homing in on the technology trends that really matter and spurring their adoption by amplifying “faint signals” from the alpha geeks who are creating the future. An active participant in the technology community, the company has a long history of advocacy, meme-making, and evangelism.
Maker Media is a division of O'Reilly Media devoted entirely to the growing community of resourceful people who believe that if you can imagine it, you can make it. Consisting of Make Magazine, Craft Magazine, Maker Faire, and the Hacks series of books, Maker Media encourages the Do-It-Yourself mentality by providing creative inspiration and instruction.
Return to: O’Reilly Press Room
Recent Press Releases
Media Relations – North America & Conferences
Media Relations – Japan
Media Relations – United Kingdom