March 27, 2008
First Velocity Opens Registration and Introduces Program for Conference: Velocity Optimizes Web Performance and Scalability
Sebastopol, CA--Registration has opened for the first O'Reilly Velocity,
the web performance and operations conference, June 23 and 24 at the San
Francisco Airport Marriott in Burlingame, CA. Designed to help break
barriers and build a better internet for all users and customers, the
conference shares the skills and knowledge crucial to building successful
web sites that stay fast, scalable, resilient, and highly available.
Program chairs Jesse Robbins and Steve Souders add new sessions daily.
Planned sessions already include:
- "Performance Plumbing" by Adam Bechtel of Yahoo!
- "LinkedIn Communication Architecture" by Ruslan Belkin and Sean Dawson of
- "Stress, Load, and Performance Testing in Quality Assurance" by Goranka
Bjedov of Google
- "Incident Command for IT: What We Can Learn from the Fire Department" by
Brent Chapman of Great Circle Associates, Inc.
- "Building an Automated Infrastructure" by Adam Jacob of HJK Solutions
- "High Performance Ajax Applications" by Julien Lecomte of Yahoo!
- "Hotmail's Performance Tuning Best Practices" by Aladdin Nassar of
Microsoft - Hotmail
- "Lessons Learned in Live Search Moving to and Then Away from Ajax" by
Eric Schurman of Microsoft
- "Image Optimization - How Many of These 7 Mistakes Are You Making?" by
Stoyan Stefanov of Yahoo!
- "Cadillac or Nascar? A Non-religious Investigation of Modern Web
Technologies" by Shanti Subramanyam and Akara Sucharitakul of Sun
- "Scaling MySQL Powered Web Sites by Sharding and Replication" by Peter
Zaitsev of MySQL Performance Blog
Other featured speakers will include Artur Bergman of Wikia, Eric
Goldsmith of AOL, Jon Jenkins of Amazon.com, Simon Perkins of HttpWatch,
Jesse Robbins of O'Reilly Radar, and Peter Sevcik of NetForecast, Inc.
The Velocity experience provides:
- Two practical, highly technical tracks covering the key aspects of web
performance and operations in depth
- Inspirational keynote presentations that bring clarity to thorny issues
- A Sponsor Gallery featuring dozens of the latest tools and products
- Ignite, a rapid-fire showcase of amazing projects and ideas
- A half-day of Products & Services sessions to explore performance and
Sponsors include Akamai, Google, Hyperic, Sun Microsystems, and
Early registration ends May 5. To register now, visit:
If you have ideas for speakers and topics, please send them to:
For more conference information, please visit:
For exhibition and sponsorship opportunities, please email Sharon
For media and promotional partner opportunities, please email Avila
O'Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, and conferences. Since 1978, O'Reilly Media has been a chronicler and catalyst of cutting-edge development, homing in on the technology trends that really matter and spurring their adoption by amplifying "faint signals" from the alpha geeks who are creating the future. An active participant in the technology community, the company has a long history of advocacy, meme-making, and evangelism.
Return to: O'Reilly Press Room
Recent Press Releases
Press Release Archive »
Media Relations - North America & Conferences
Media Relations - Germany
Media Relations - Japan
Media Relations - United Kingdom