Press Release: October 8, 2008
Web 2.0 Expo Europe Examines Key Industry Themes: Program Gathers Visionaries, Entrepreneurs, VCs, Creatives, and Technologists Who Think Outside the Box for Success San Francisco, CA—October 8, 2008—The second annual Web 2.0 Expo Europe will define the current state of Web 2.0 and, more importantly, outline its future. The three-day conference, co-produced by O'Reilly Media, Inc. and TechWeb, will attract the largest pan-European community of international technical, design, marketing, and business professionals, entrepreneurs, start-ups, and VCs building, leveraging, and driving the European Web economy. Each will bring a unique and insightful perspective to the dynamic state of innovation happening on the Web. Scheduled for October 21-23, 2008, Web 2.0 Expo Europe will be held at a new venue, the Berliner Congress Center in Berlin, Germany.
"The dramatic growth in both consumer and enterprise adoption of Web 2.0 will bring even more attention to this sector during a period of economic turmoil," said Jennifer Pahlka, co-chair of Web 2.0 Expo. "But it also provides us an opportunity to revisit the core agenda of Web 2.0 and the deeper possibilities it represents. At Web 2.0 Expo Europe, we'll talk about why companies and individuals are making immediate strategic shifts, but also investing in Web 2.0 for the long term."
The conference agenda is divided into four tracks: Design and User Experience, Development, Marketing and Community, and Strategy and Business Models. These tracks are designed to meet the increasing demand for Web 2.0 comprehension and skills, and to build a broader understanding within the European Web 2.0 community.
Web 2.0 Expo Europe will serve to dispel current myths and inspire dialogue around subjects crucial to the success and development of this platform. The agenda has been developed to address existing trends and applications which will serve to enhance Web 2.0 in the future from leading executives, entrepreneurs and visionaries from across the US and Europe, including:
- Timo Arnall (Sweden), Oslo School of Architecture & Design—The Web in the World
- Drew Bartkiewicz,(UK) Vice President of Cyber and Technology Risk, The Hartford—The Emerging Business Risks of Web 2.0 Models
- Markus Beckedahl (Germany), Creative Commons Germany / newthinking communications GmbH—How do you CC?
- Giel de Nijs (Netherlands), Philips Research—First Steps Towards an Online User Experience Testing Community
- Alexandra Deschamps- (UK/Italy/Canada) Sonsino Tinker—In Case of Turbulence: Open Source Hardware's Next Challenges
- Bruno Figueiredo (Portugal), Ideias & Imagens, Lda.—Designing for Flow
- Alberto Nardelli (Italy), UnLtdWorld—Changing the World for the Better Using Web 2.0
- Luis Suarez (Spain), IBM—Thinking outside the Inbox
The Web 2.0 Expo has also confirmed additional high profile keynotes who will present topics that are foremost on their minds, such as Martin Varsavsky, FON, Patrick McDevitt of TeleAtlas, Tariq Krim, Julian Bleecker, from Nokia Design and Tony Coppel, Yahoo! Europe.
The Web 2.0 Expo conference series consistently provides attendees:
- A far-reaching conference program for Web professionals, marketers, and entrepreneurs
- A bustling expo connecting the companies and projects of the Web ecosystem
- In-depth workshops to get up to speed on essential new technologies
- A chance to hear news of the future from industry leaders and innovators
- An un-conference approach that turns the audience into participants
- Networking social events and hallway conversations throughout the entire week of October 20th in Berlin that might change the way you work and play
Web 2.0 Expo Europe is one of five key Web 2.0 conferences organized by O'Reilly and TechWeb, which include Web 2.0 Summit and Web 2.0 Expo events in San Francisco and New York. The Web 2.0 series has been bringing together the most innovative and successful internet industry figures and companies since 2004. The list of premier sponsors of Web Expo Europe this year will grow as the event nears but currently includes Platinum sponsors eBay, Mobile.de, Nokia and Silver sponsors AOL Developer Network, Atlassian, Jive, Telligent, Zanox, and Zoho.
More information can be found at www.web2expo.com.
To sign up for newsletter, see:
To sign up for the Facebook group, see:
To follow on Twitter, see:
For almost 40 years, O’Reilly Media has provided technology and business training, knowledge, and insight to help companies succeed. Our unique network of experts and innovators share their knowledge and expertise through the company’s Safari training and learning platform and at O’Reilly conferences. As a SaaS learning platform, Safari delivers highly topical and comprehensive technology and business learning solutions to millions of users across enterprise, consumer, and university channels. For more information visit oreilly.com.
Return to: O'Reilly Press Room