Press Release: November 3, 2008
Take Control of Your 802.11n AirPort Network--New from TidBITS: New Take Control ebook by Wi-Fi wizard Glenn Fleishman helps readers fully understand and configure 802.11n AirPort networks Ithaca, NY—Setting up a fast, reliable, and secure network with Apple's increasingly large family of AirPort gear is easier than with generic Wi-Fi equipment, but all too often, the details can overwhelm the uninitiated or require a lot of research to get right. Luckily, Wi-Fi wizard Glenn Fleishman is here to help with the new 242-page Take Control of Your 802.11n AirPort Network ebook (TidBITS, $15.00 USD), which brings it all together for readers who want to get the most from their AirPort networks.
The ebook includes:
- Real-world advice - and diagrams - that covers setting up the 802.11n models of the AirPort Express, AirPort Extreme, and Time Capsule
- Advice on whether the 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz band is best for your network
- Tricks for including older 802.11b and 802.11g Wi-Fi gear without damaging performance
- Step-by-step instructions on connecting from Macintosh and Windows clients
- Details about handling complex Internet addressing configurations
- The ins and outs of sharing USB disks, including a Time Capsule
- Help with connecting shared printers to Leopard, Tiger, and Windows
- A discussion of networking with and configuring an Apple TV
- How to set up a multi-base-station network to extend the area of wireless coverage
- The scoop on the up-and-coming IPv6 standard for handling IP addresses
Although the ebook focuses on Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, it also covers Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, Windows XP, and Windows Vista.
Phil Kearney, "father" of Apple's AirPort product line, commented, "This Take Control book is a must-have for anyone who needs to quickly and easily set up an AirPort network. It is a clean and concise guide to get you past any stumbling blocks you may encounter in the process of configuring your wireless network. Even the more advanced chapters and topics will be a great help to anyone who designs and installs 802.11 networks for a living."
For a review copy or more information please email email@example.com. Please include your delivery address and contact information.
Glenn Fleishman is a freelance technology journalist contributing regularly to The New York Times, The Seattle Times, Macworld magazine, and InfoWorld. He maintains a wireless weblog at wifinetnews.com.
For more information about the book, including table of contents, index, author bios, and cover graphic, see the catalog page for Take Control of Your 802.11n AirPort Network.
Take Control of Your 802.11n AirPort Network
Take Control of Your 802.11n AirPort Network,
PDF format, 242 pages, free 30-page sample available
PDF Price: $15.00 USD
The Take Control series is published by TidBITS Publishing Inc. TidBITS co-founders Adam and Tonya Engst have been publishing highly regarded news and editorial since 1990 when they created the online newsletter TidBITS, which covers Macintosh- and Internet-related topics. The Take Control series has helped many thousands of readers with high-quality, timely, real-world, cost-effective documentation since 2003.
For almost 40 years, O’Reilly Media has provided technology and business training, knowledge, and insight to help companies succeed. Our unique network of experts and innovators share their knowledge and expertise through the company’s Safari training and learning platform and at O’Reilly conferences. As a SaaS learning platform, Safari delivers highly topical and comprehensive technology and business learning solutions to millions of users across enterprise, consumer, and university channels. For more information visit oreilly.com.
Return to: O'Reilly Press Room