Press Release: March 5, 2009
O'Reilly Velocity, the Web Performance and Operations Conference Opens Registration: Program Teaches How to Build a Better Internet
Sebastopol, CA, March 5, 2009—O'Reilly Media has opened early registration for Velocity, the Web Performance and Operations Conference on June 22-24, 2009, at the Fairmont in San Jose, CA. Program chairs Jesse Robbins and Steve Souders have revealed the program for this three-day event dedicated to helping people build better infrastructures. Early registration savings of up to $300 end May 3, 2009.
Velocity provides the place to learn how to build websites and services that raise the standards for fast, scalable, efficient, and reliable performance. Velocity 2009 focuses on accomplishing more with fewer resources, efficient design and scaling techniques, and the best ways to manage change. The program also highlights best practices in performance and operations that improve the user experience as well as the company's bottom line.
Velocity will gather together developers, engineers, and managers from companies of all sizes; technical executives watching out for the bottom line; CTOs and CIOs seeking to streamline operations; technology evangelists and entrepreneurs pushing their enterprise boundaries; as well as reesearchers and academics. Conference goers can learn from peers, exchange ideas with experts, and share best practices and painful lessons learned. A newly added full day of tutorials enriches the schedule this year.
Featured speakers and sessions will include:
- Douglas Crockford of Yahoo!, "Ajax Performance"
- Chris Bissell of MySpace, "Fistful of Sand: Monitoring Code Performance at MySpace.com"
- John Adam of Twitter, "Fixing Twitter: Improving the Performance and Scalability of the World's Most Popular Micro-Blogging Site"
- Richard Campbell of Strangeloop Networks, "Death of a Web Server: Crisis in Caching"
- Stoyan Stefanov of Yahoo!, "Performance Tools"
- Jeremy Zawodny of Craigslist, "MySQL Performance from Day #1"
- Bill Scott of Netflix, "Event Delegation, Speeding Up the Netflix Queue"
- John Allspaw of Flickr/Yahoo!, "10+ Deploys Per Day: Dev and Ops Cooperation at Flickr"
- Mandi Walls of AOL, "Migrating www.aol.com from a Proprietary Web Platform to Open Source"
- Luke Kanies of Reductive Labs, "Introduction to Managed Infrastructure with Puppet"
- Robert Johnson of Facebook, "High Performance at Massive Scale: Lessons Learned at Facebook"
- Marissa Mayer of Google, "The Future of Search"
Velocity offers attendees:
- Two tracks covering the key aspects of web performance and operations
- Inspirational keynote presentations that clarify tough issues
- The chance to share knowledge with over 600 web developers and experts in one place
- An Exhibit Hall featuring dozens of the latest tools and services
- Ignite, a rapid-fire showcase of amazing projects and ideas
- Fun evening events, Birds of a Feather sessions, and many networking opportunities
Velocity 2008 sponsors and exhibitors included: Akamai, Google, Hyperic, Sun Microsystems, 3Tera, Cordiant, Keynote Systems, Limelight Networks, Inc., OpSource, Amazon Web Services, BlueArc, ControlTier, DeviceAnywhere, RightScale, Electronic Frontier Foundation, and Webmetrics.
Early registration ends May 3, 2009.
For more information on Velocity, visit: http://conferences.oreilly.com/velocity.
If you have ideas about areas you'd like to see included at the conference, send a note to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you'd like to stay up to date on information relating to Velocity, sign up for the conference newsletter (login required) at: http://elists.oreilly.com#conferences.
Keep an eye on the latest news about Velocity 2009 and see some of last year's coverage at: http://en.oreilly.com/velocity2009/public/content/news-coverage.
View selected presentations from Velocity 2008 at: http://velocityconf.blip.tv/
Download speaker presentation slides from last year's Velocity at:
To learn what's on the program chairs' minds, visit Jesse's blog at http://radar.oreilly.com/jesse/ and Steve's blog at http://www.stevesouders.com/blog/.
To read Tim O'Reilly's take on the future, go to the O'Reilly Radar at: http://radar.oreilly.com/.
For information about sponsorship and exhibit opportunities at Velocity, contact Sharon Cordesse at 707.827.7065 or email@example.com.
For media inquiries, contact Maureen Jennings at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you would like to discuss forming a media or promotional partnership with O'Reilly for an upcoming event, contact email@example.com.
More O'Reilly Conferences:
- O'Reilly Emerging Technology Conference in San Jose, CA, March 9-12, 2009
- Web 2.0 Expo San Francisco in San Francisco March 31-April 3, 2009, co-produced with TechWeb
- MySQL Conference & Expo in Santa Clara, CA, April 20-23, 2009, co-presented by O'Reilly Media and Sun Microsystems
- RailsConf in Las Vegas, May 4-7, co-presented with Ruby Central
- O'Reilly Where Conference in San Jose, CA, May 19-21, 2009
- O'Reilly Found Conference in Burlingame, CA, June 9-11, 2009
- OSCON in San Jose, CA, in San Jose, CA, July 20-24, 2009
- Web 2.0 Summit in San Francisco, CA, October 20-22, 2009
- Web 2.0 Expo New York in New York City, Nov. 16-19, 2009
For a conference overview, visit: http://conferences.oreilly.com
O’Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, and conferences. Since 1978, O’Reilly Media has been a chronicler and catalyst of cutting-edge development, homing in on the technology trends that really matter and spurring their adoption by amplifying “faint signals” from the alpha geeks who are creating the future. An active participant in the technology community, the company has a long history of advocacy, meme-making, and evangelism.O'Reilly conferences bring together forward-thinking business and technology leaders, shaping ideas and influencing industries around the globe. For over 25 years, O'Reilly has facilitated the adoption of new and important technologies by the enterprise, putting emerging technologies on the map.
Return to: O’Reilly Press Room
Recent Press Releases
Media Relations – North America & Conferences
Media Relations – Japan
Media Relations – United Kingdom