Press Release: September 30, 2009
Learning Python, Fourth Edition--New from O'Reilly: Powerful Object-Oriented Programming Sebastopol, CA—Google and YouTube use Python because it's highly adaptable, easy to maintain, and allows for rapid development. If you want to write high-quality, efficient code that's easily integrated with other languages and tools, Learning Python (O'Reilly, US $54.99) will help you be productive with Python quickly—whether you're new to programming or just new to Python. It's an easy-to-follow self-paced tutorial, based on author and Python expert Mark Lutz's popular training course.
Each chapter contains a stand-alone lesson on a key component of the language, and includes a unique Test Your Knowledge section with practical exercises and quizzes, so you can practice new skills and test your understanding as you go. You'll find lots of annotated examples and illustrations to help you get started with Python 3.0.
With this book in hand, you will:
- Learn about Python's major built-in object types, such as numbers, lists, and dictionaries
- Create and process objects using Python statements, and learn Python's general syntax model
- Structure and reuse code using with Python's basic procedural tool
- Learn about Python modules: packages of statements, functions, and other tools, organized into larger components
- Discover Python's object-oriented programming tool for structuring code
- Learn about the exception-handling model, and development tools for writing larger programs
- Explore advanced Python tools including decorators, descriptors, metaclasses, and Unicode processing
"Learning Python is at the top of my recommendation list for anyone wanting to start programming with Python."
--Doug Hellmann, senior software engineer, Racemi, Inc.
For a review copy or more information please email email@example.com Please include your delivery address and contact information.
Mark Lutz is the world leader in Python training, the author of Python's earliest and best-selling texts, and a pioneering figure in the Python community since 1992.
For more information about the book, including table of contents, index, author bios, and cover graphic, see: http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596158064
Learning Python, Fourth Edition
ISBN: 9780596158064, 1212 pages,
Book Price: $54.99 USD, £34.50 GBP
Ebook Price: $39.99 USD
O’Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, and conferences. Since 1978, O’Reilly Media has been a chronicler and catalyst of cutting-edge development, homing in on the technology trends that really matter and spurring their adoption by amplifying “faint signals” from the alpha geeks who are creating the future. An active participant in the technology community, the company has a long history of advocacy, meme-making, and evangelism.
Return to: O’Reilly Press Room