Press Release: February 4, 2010
Take Control of Running Windows on a Mac, Fourth Edition--New Ebook from TidBITS: How to install Windows on a Mac, and then keep it secure,
backed up, and working optimally
Ithaca, NY—Installing and running Windows on an Intel-based Mac has become commonplace, but doing so effectively still requires expert knowledge. Fortunately, the new ebook Take Control of Running Windows on a Mac, Fourth Edition (TidBITS, $10.00 USD) brings readers 178 pages of hard-won, completely up-to-date advice, helping readers determine the best installation option for their needs, install Windows easily, and keep Windows secure, properly backed up, and working optimally.
Written by cross-platform guru Joe Kissell and based on innumerable hours of research, the book covers Windows 7, Vista, and XP, and it gives procedures for working with the latest versions of virtualization programs VMware Fusion, Parallels Desktop, and VirtualBox, along with Apple's dual-boot solution, Boot Camp.
For each option, Kissell provides instructions for installing the software and for installing Windows, and he goes further by explaining how to make peripherals--mice, keyboards, and printers--behave properly, how to share files between the Mac and Windows environments, and how to integrate the Mac and Windows interfaces. Kissell also looks at software that makes it possible to run Windows programs on a Mac without installing Windows itself, and he explains methods of acquiring Windows, a topic made confusing by Microsoft's many licensing options and activation mechanism.
Questions answered in the ebook include:
- How can I get a copy of Windows that will work on a Mac?
- Which version of Windows should I run?
- How can I set things up so that Windows won't bog down?
- How should I handle partitioning for my Windows installation?
- How do I avoid and handle activation hassles?
- Boot Camp is free with Mac OS X, but what are its pros and cons?
- How can I best run Windows with Boot Camp and virtualization software?
- What's the best way to right-click in Windows?
- How do I print from my Windows software?
- How do I make my Bluetooth devices work in Windows?
- What is FAT32, and why might it matter to me?
- What are the coolest new features in Parallels Desktop 5?
- What's new and exciting in VMware Fusion 3?
- Should I run VMware Fusion, Parallels Desktop, or VirtualBox?
For a review copy or more information please email email@example.com.
For more information about the book, including table of contents, index, author bios, and cover graphic, see: http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9781615420483
Take Control of Running Windows on a Mac
Take Control of Running Windows on a Mac,
EBook format, pages, free 30-page sample available
EBook Price: $10.00 USD
The Take Control series is published by TidBITS Publishing Inc. TidBITS co-founders Adam and Tonya Engst have been publishing highly regarded news and editorial since 1990 when they created the online newsletter TidBITS, which covers Macintosh- and Internet-related topics. The Take Control series has helped many thousands of readers with high-quality, timely, real-world, cost-effective documentation since 2003.
For almost 40 years, O’Reilly Media has provided technology and business training, knowledge, and insight to help companies succeed. Our unique network of experts and innovators share their knowledge and expertise through the company’s Safari training and learning platform and at O’Reilly conferences. As a SaaS learning platform, Safari delivers highly topical and comprehensive technology and business learning solutions to millions of users across enterprise, consumer, and university channels. For more information visit oreilly.com.
Return to: O'Reilly Press Room