Press Release: February 10, 2010
Take Control of Easy Mac Backups--New from TidBITS: A guide for those whose backup strategy is non-existent, inadequate, or confusing Ithaca, NY—Everyone knows that backups are essential to protect against file corruption, hardware failure, and theft, but to go beyond the limited security of turning on Time Machine or copying a few files to a disc, Mac users can now turn to Take Control of Easy Mac Backups (TidBITS, $10.00 USD) by award-winning author and backup guru Joe Kissell.
Kissell explains how to create a complete backup system for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard or 10.5 Leopard that includes versioned backups, an all-important bootable duplicate, and an offsite backup. Readers will learn how to identify backup hardware that best matches their needs and budget, and find instructions for using Time Machine as well as alternatives for nine situations where Time Machine lacks crucial features. Kissell walks readers through every step of the way, from setting up a backup drive or Time Capsule to explaining how to recover precious data in case of a deleted or corrupted file, a dead drive, or a stolen laptop.
In this book, you'll find answers to questions such as these:
- How can I get the maximum benefit from Time Machine?
- Should I use a Time Capsule, Apple's all-in-one Wi-Fi router and backup appliance?
- What features should I look for in an external backup drive?
- Should I use an online backup service, such as Backblaze or CrashPlan?
- Should I use USB or FireWire to connect my backup drive?
- What's a versioned backup, and why should I care?
- Why is having a bootable duplicate important?
- How can I easily and effectively keep an offsite backup?
- Time Machine is acting strangely. What should I do?
- How do I migrate existing backups to a Time Capsule?
- What's the difference between an online sync and a backup?
For a review copy or more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about the book, including table of contents, index, author bios, and cover graphic, see: http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9781615420155
Take Control of Easy Mac Backups
Take Control of Easy Mac Backups,
EBook format, 108 pages
EBook Price: $10.00 USD
The Take Control series is published by TidBITS Publishing Inc. TidBITS co-founders Adam and Tonya Engst have been publishing highly regarded news and editorial since 1990 when they created the online newsletter TidBITS, which covers Macintosh- and Internet-related topics. The Take Control series has helped many thousands of readers with high-quality, timely, real-world, cost-effective documentation since 2003.
For almost 40 years, O’Reilly Media has provided technology and business training, knowledge, and insight to help companies succeed. Our unique network of experts and innovators share their knowledge and expertise through the company’s Safari training and learning platform and at O’Reilly conferences. As a SaaS learning platform, Safari delivers highly topical and comprehensive technology and business learning solutions to millions of users across enterprise, consumer, and university channels. For more information visit oreilly.com.
Return to: O'Reilly Press Room