Press Release: April 8, 2010
Take Control of Getting Started with DEVONthink 2--New Ebook from TidBITS Ithaca, NY—To mark the recent release of the popular information management application DEVONthink 2, TidBITS Publishing Inc. has published a new ebook, Take Control of Getting Started with DEVONthink 2 ($10 USD).
Designed to help Mac users fight information overload by storing and indexing digital documents and clippings of all sorts, including scanned paper bills and receipts, DEVONthink provides all the tools necessary to organize, find, and view vast amounts of stored data. Written by Joe Kissell and created in collaboration with DEVONtechnologies, LLC, the ebook explains DEVONthink's core concepts and guides readers through many aspects of putting DEVONthink to work.
Kissell teaches readers how to:
- Get around in DEVONthink's interface
- Decide how many databases to set up
- Determine whether to import or index data
- Configure where incoming data will go
- Import data from many different applications
- Input data from a scanner, including OCR options
- Use grouping and tagging to organize data
- Use simple (and sophisticated) techniques for searching
- Create smart groups that automatically gather newly imported data
- Edit data in DEVONthink (or externally)
- Export data out of DEVONthink
- Back up and maintain healthy databases
Questions answered in the book include:
- What is DEVONthink especially good for, and what should be left to other programs?
- What kinds of data can I import? (Short answer: Nearly everything!)
- Which of DEVONthink's many views should I use?
- When I import data from different sources, where does it end up, and why?
- Is it better to sort imported data right away, or leave it for later?
- Should I group my data, tag it, or both?
- What are duplicates and replicants, and how can I tell them apart?
- Which types of data can be created or edited within DEVONthink?
- How do I make my DEVONthink database accessible via the Web?
- Are there any Automator or AppleScript options for DEVONthink? (Hint: Yes!)
The ebook covers all three editions of DEVONthink 2: DEVONthink Pro Office, DEVONthink Professional, and DEVONthink Personal, and it is completely up-to-date with today's release of DEVONthink 2.0.2.
For a review copy or more information please email email@example.com.
Joe Kissell has written many ebooks in the Take Control series. He's also a senior contributor to Macworld and Senior Editor of TidBITS. His June 2008 Macworld article, "Empty Your Inbox," won the award for best how-to article from American Business Media's 2009 Neal Awards. Although he is a native English speaker, Joe currently resides in Paris.
For more information about the book, including table of contents, index, author bios, and cover graphic, see: http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9781615420490
Take Control of Getting Started with DEVONthink 2
by Joe Kissell
EBook Price: $10.00 USD
The Take Control series is published by TidBITS Publishing Inc. TidBITS co-founders Adam and Tonya Engst have been publishing highly regarded news and editorial since 1990 when they created the online newsletter TidBITS, which covers Macintosh- and Internet-related topics. The Take Control series has helped many thousands of readers with high-quality, timely, real-world, cost-effective documentation since 2003.
O’Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, and conferences. Since 1978, O’Reilly Media has been a chronicler and catalyst of cutting-edge development, homing in on the technology trends that really matter and spurring their adoption by amplifying “faint signals” from the alpha geeks who are creating the future. An active participant in the technology community, the company has a long history of advocacy, meme-making, and evangelism.
Return to: O’Reilly Press Room