Press Release: April 20, 2010
Remote Control Everything (Even Your Chicken Coop) with the New MAKE Magazine--MAKE: Volume 22 presents awesome do-it-yourself projects for controlling any gadget, and uncovers the technology trends sparking a remote control revolution.
Sebastopol, CA—MAKE Magazine Volume 22 ("Remote Control Everything"), hitting newsstands April 20, explores how to remotely control all kinds of gadgets using state-of-the-art radio control (R/C), motion detection, the Internet, smartphones, web chat, and more.
Three technology trends are sparking a remote control revolution: R/C radio technology has drastically improved, servomotors and microcontrollers are being miniaturized, and the Internet allows smartphones to control almost anything. Do-it-yourselfers are building web-controlled chicken coops, radio-controlled lawn mowers—even driving real cars with their iPhones.
Remote control projects in MAKE: Volume 22 include:
- The Lawnbot400 R/C lawn mower—sit back and enjoy the mow!
- Kitty Twitty cat toy that tweets (on Twitter) when your cat attacks
- Automated chicken coop controlled by iPhone
- Motion-detecting Nikon camera remote
- Stealthy TV-B-Gone hoodie sweatshirt that turns off TV sets
- Remote control pet feeder using web chat
- Solar tracking platform that automatically follows the sun
- How to hack R/C power outlets—control your whole house from one computer
- Robots you can control with your mind! (Okay, this one involves a trick, but it's still cool)
In addition, you'll learn how to:
- Replace your broken iPhone screen
- Make the Double Pendulum—a simple project that creates absolute chaos
- Make fresh cheese from goat's milk
- Make a monster USB MIDI controller with 8 microphones
- Extract your own perfumes and essential oils
- Wind your own electric guitar pickups, and make a Diddley Bow (the primal electric guitar made famous by Jack White of The White Stripes)
Plus, filmmaker and YouTube sensation PES shows how he creates his amazing stop-motion animation; and 8 top hobbyists and industry leaders tell what's hot in Remote Control. What on earth are foamies, Frankensteining, and aqua modeling? Get MAKE: Volume 22 and find out.
COMING UP: MAKE has been nominated for the 2010 Utne Independent Press Awards for Science/Technology Coverage. Winners will be announced April 25.
For review copies, please email Sara Peyton: email@example.com. Please include your delivery address and contact information.
For more information on MAKE Magazine, or for interview requests, please contact Keith Hammond: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about this edition of Make Magazine, see: http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596807184
Make: Technology on Your Time Volume 22
Edited by Mark Frauenfelder
ISBN: 9780596807184, 176 pages,
Book Price: $14.99 USD, £11.50 GBP
For almost 40 years, O’Reilly Media has provided technology and business training, knowledge, and insight to help companies succeed. Our unique network of experts and innovators share their knowledge and expertise through the company’s Safari training and learning platform and at O’Reilly conferences. As a SaaS learning platform, Safari delivers highly topical and comprehensive technology and business learning solutions to millions of users across enterprise, consumer, and university channels. For more information visit oreilly.com.
Return to: O'Reilly Press Room