March 9, 2012
Take Control of BBEdit--New from TidBITS: New ebook teaches users how to get the most out of this powerful text editor
Ithaca, NY—BBEdit, from Bare Bones Software, is the preeminent text editor on the Macintosh, with a nearly 20-year history and an abundance of powerful features. For Mac users who blog, write HTML, code, use grep, or otherwise manipulate text, BBEdit's sophisticated tools can save vast amounts of time and effort. In Take Control of
BBEdit (TidBITS, $10.00 USD) long-time BBEdit user Glenn Fleishman has taken up the challenge of explaining how to accomplish real-world tasks more quickly and efficiently in BBEdit 10.
Created in collaboration with Bare Bones Software, Take Control of BBEdit describes handling core text-processing features that are essential for all users, working with HTML from the level of the individual tag all the way to a dynamic Web site, and managing multi-resource projects.
Take Control publisher Adam Engst said, "Since BBEdit is one of our favorite and most essential tools, we're excited to share our enthusiasm for the program in Take Control of BBEdit—it's a must-read for anyone who wants to get the most out of BBEdit."
"Glenn Fleishman has done an excellent job of introducing BBEdit's powerful capabilities in an entertaining, educational, and approachable style," said Rich Siegel, founder and CEO of Bare Bones Software. "Take Control of BBEdit reaches beyond any manual to show the actual how-to aspects of using BBEdit to save time or save your bacon. We recommend it, whether you're an old hand or brand new to BBEdit."
Readers of Take Control of BBEdit will learn how to:
Set up BBEdit for maximum efficiency:
- Configure key standard and expert preferences for optimal usage.
- Sync BBEdit settings and support files between Macs using Dropbox.
- Create text factories that automate sequences of text processing commands.
- Create "clippings" of boilerplate text, complete with dynamic placeholders.
- Use Dropbox or a version control system to track versions of documents.
Start work on the right track:
- Collect multiple resources—including files, folders, and URLs—into a single project window.
- Use BBEdit's many options for opening and saving files.
- Work with remote files via BBEdit's FTP/SFTP browser windows.
Type faster, search better, and automate repetitive bits:
- Control BBEdit via keyboard shortcuts.
- Write faster with text completion of words, code snippets, HTML
tags, and more.
- Clean up text with spurious tabs, incorrect case, gremlin
characters, and more.
- Search for and replace text across multiple documents at once.
- Learn how to use grep pattern matching for powerful searches.
- Write in Markdown, and preview Markdown documents.
Compare and collaborate effectively:
- Discover best practices for commenting and revision tracking.
- Compare multiple versions of documents.
Run your Web site like a wizard:
- Create HTML and CSS files using BBEdit's extensive markup tools.
- Preview dynamic pages locally with user-defined preview templates.
- Clean up old or badly coded Web pages.
- Build Web sites using templates and includes.
- Connect BBEdit to Fetch, Interarchy, or Transmit to edit remote files.
- Maintain Web sites in BBEdit using four different workflows.
Ebook review copies, author interviews, and excerpts for publication
available upon request; just ask!
For a review copy or more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your delivery address and contact information.
For more information about the book, including table of contents, author bios, and cover graphic, see: http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9781615424016.do
The Take Control series is published by TidBITS Publishing Inc. TidBITS co-founders Adam and Tonya Engst have been publishing highly regarded news and editorial since 1990 when they created the online newsletter TidBITS, which covers Macintosh and Internet-related topics. The Take Control series has helped many thousands of readers with high-quality, timely, real-world, cost-effective documentation since 2003.
O'Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, and conferences. Since 1978, O'Reilly Media has been a chronicler and catalyst of cutting-edge development, homing in on the technology trends that really matter and spurring their adoption by amplifying "faint signals" from the alpha geeks who are creating the future. An active participant in the technology community, the company has a long history of advocacy, meme-making, and evangelism.
Return to: O'Reilly Press Room
Recent Press Releases
Press Release Archive »
Media Relations - North America & Conferences
Media Relations - Germany
Media Relations - Japan
Media Relations - United Kingdom