Press Release: October 22, 2012
NYC Data Week Launches--Celebrate Data Innovation
Sebastopol, CA, October 22, 2012—Welcome to the very first NYC Data Week, a celebration of data innovation that starts today and continues until October 26, 2012. Co-producers New York City Department of Information Technology & Telecommunications (DoITT) and O'Reilly Media's Strata Conference + Hadoop World invited data enthusiasts to crowdsource NYC Data Week, and the data community responded with a cornucopia of data driven events.
The crowdsourced calendar of events continues to grow. Please check the calendar for specifics on time, place, and cost. Current Data Week events include:
- Big Data Camp—An unconference for users of Hadoop and related Big Data technologies.
- Ignite NYC—5-minute speed presentations with a data focus, in the fields of technology, business, and the arts.
- Mini Maker Faire—A showcase of innovative data-related hardware, apps, and projects.
- DataKind DataSprint—This all-day hackathon focuses on a critical NYC data project solving problems for nonprofits and charities.
- Data Sensing Lab—From hardware and software, to data analysis and visualization, the project will give people a taste of their lives in a more measured and quantified world, with real-time data analysis during the livestreamed keynote sessions.
- NYC Data Business Meetup—Leading venture capitalists from Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, IA Ventures, Accel Partners, and Data Collective share their thoughts on the trends, opportunities, and challenges for big data and data-driven startups.
- Startup Showcase—Tim O'Reilly and Fred Wilson select and interview the winning data-focused startups demonstrating their innovations.
- Data Week Proclamation—10/23, 7:30 p.m. during Startup Showcase
- Google Developer's Group—Big Query, OAuth 2.0, Big Data with Go—Crunching BidData with Google BigQuery. 10/23, 6:40-8:30 p.m., Google, NYC.
- DataGotham at Strata—DataGotham at Strata brings a taste of New York's data community, with some of our strongest speakers on topics like influence in social networks, statistics in sports and fashion, and the beauty of normalization
- The Future of Security—Ethical Hacking, Big Data, and the Crowd conference convenes a daylong series of discussions to highlight the emerging, disruptive forces changing the landscape of the global community.
- Data Innovation in Finance Panel—Panel features NYC financial institutions focused on innovative data projects and services in the world of finance. Moderated by Ann Li, panelists include Maria Gotsch, Ramneek Gupta, Matt Turck, and Larry Lerner.
- Data Innovation across the City Panel—Speakers from Estee Lauder, Etsy, UN Global Pulse, NBC Universal, NY Genome Center, NYC DoITT, and Huge provide a cross section of the exciting data work being done in NYC and discuss the history and future of data innovation in their respective areas.
- The Open Internet and the 2012 Election—Clay Shirky, Fred Wilson, and Susan Crawford in conversation about how the dialogue around a free and open Internet has evolved and its role in the 2012 election.
An enthusiastic response from the data community continues to add to the Calendar of Events. Check it daily for updates.
Want to bring your data downtown? Take a look at the Hire + Expand Lower Manhattan (HELM) competition, with several $250,000 cash prizes for tech and startup companies that join the data community in Lower Manhattan.
For almost 40 years, O’Reilly Media has provided technology and business training, knowledge, and insight to help companies succeed. Our unique network of experts and innovators share their knowledge and expertise through the company’s Safari training and learning platform and at O’Reilly conferences. As a SaaS learning platform, Safari delivers highly topical and comprehensive technology and business learning solutions to millions of users across enterprise, consumer, and university channels. For more information visit oreilly.com.
Return to: O'Reilly Press Room
Recent Press Releases
Media Relations – North America & Conferences
Media Relations – Japan
Media Relations – United Kingdom
+44 (0) 1252 721284