Press Release: October 24, 2012
Python for Data Analysis--New from O'Reilly Media: Agile Tools for Real World Data
Sebastopol, CA—Python for Data Analysis ($39.99, O'Reilly Media) is concerned with the nuts and bolts of manipulating, processing, cleaning, and crunching data in Python. It is also a practical, modern introduction to scientific computing in Python, tailored for data-intensive applications.
"Many new Python users have struggled due to the lack of comprehensive learning resources for the central tools in the stack," says author Wes McKinney (@wesmckinn), citing NumPy, IPython, pandas, matplotlib, and others. "This book is an approachable introduction for new users but holds value for experienced Python programmers, too."
In other words, it's ideal for analysts new to Python and for Python programmers new to scientific computing. With Python for Data Analysis, you will:
- Use the IPython interactive shell as your primary development environment
- Learn basic and advanced NumPy (Numerical Python) features
- Get started with data analysis tools in the pandas library
- Use high-performance tools to load, clean, transform, merge, and reshape data
- Create scatter plots and static or interactive visualizations with matplotlib
- Apply the pandas group-by facility to slice, dice, and summarize datasets
- Measure data by points in time, whether it's specific instances, fixed periods, or intervals
- Learn how to solve problems in web analytics, social sciences, finance, and economics, through detailed examples
For a review copy or more information please email email@example.com. Please include your delivery address and contact information.
For more information about the book, including table of contents, author bios, and cover graphic, see: http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920023784.do
For almost 40 years, O’Reilly Media has provided technology and business training, knowledge, and insight to help companies succeed. Our unique network of experts and innovators share their knowledge and expertise through the company’s Safari training and learning platform and at O’Reilly conferences. As a SaaS learning platform, Safari delivers highly topical and comprehensive technology and business learning solutions to millions of users across enterprise, consumer, and university channels. For more information visit oreilly.com.
Return to: O'Reilly Press Room