Press Release: December 13, 1999
Critically Acclaimed "Photoshop For the Web" Updated for Photoshop 5.5 Sebastopol, CA--O'Reilly & Associates has announced the release of a new edition of the book Photoshop for the Web. In this new edition, author Mikkel Aaland includes important new techniques and workarounds for the latest release of Photoshop version 5.5.
The first edition was loaded with step-by-step examples and real-world solutions from some of the world's hottest Web sites. The second edition adds coverage of Photoshop 5.5's newest features, including a compression tool that ultimately leads to faster download times and higher quality Web graphics. Photoshop for the Web, Second Edition also details features new to version 5.0, including the changeable type tool, color profiling, and the history palette.
"Photoshop 5.5 makes web designers' lives easier in a number of ways," says Aaland. "I do recommend it. But for those who haven't updated, where I discuss Photoshop 5.5-specific features in the book, I also include ways to do the same thing in Photoshop 5.0 and 4.0. Photoshop has long been the image manipulation tool of choice for designers. And it's a fantastic tool for web designers. But it is set up for print, not the web, and the differences inherent in creating images for the web. You'll want to customize preferences to reflect the needs of the web, and calibrate the monitor to establish some sort of objective reference for viewing work, not to mention changing the way Photoshop 5.0 handles color to avoid unwanted color shifts."
In its first edition, Photoshop for the Web has received praise from the press:
- The Canada Computer Paper picked it as one of the 10 best computer books
- Hewlett Packard's E-Business Web site called it "one of the most useful
Photoshop books I've ever picked up."
- Netpedia said "If you are ever planning to construct a clean, sharp, and
attractive website, this book is an absolute must!"
- Jennifer Kyrnin, HTML Guide, About.com called it "An excellent book. I
recommend it highly."
- Communication Arts Magazine said "Web designers eager to get the most out
of Photoshop will appreciate Photoshop for the Web... simple,
authoritative, and to the point."
- And My Mac magazine said "Aaland knows Photoshop inside out and how to maximize it for Web creation."
- "This is the first book that gives me both ready-to-use recipes and
enough information to experiment with and learn my own solutions. Highly
- "Aaland has provided an excellent and detailed analysis of using
Photoshop to produce web pages...a must-read book!"
- "Within minutes of perusing Aaland's book, I found exactly 4 new tricks
that I immediately applied to improve my web site."
- "This book now rests on my most hallowed piece of real estate--on my desk next to my mouse."
- Chapter 3, Making Great GIFs, is available free online
- More information about the book, including Table of Contents, index, author bio, and samples
- Cover graphic in jpeg format
Covers Photoshop 5.5 and ImageReady 2.0
By Mikkel Aaland
2nd Edition December 1999 (US)
1-56592-641-2, 246 pages, including 64-page color insert, $29.95 (US$)
For almost 40 years, O’Reilly Media has provided technology and business training, knowledge, and insight to help companies succeed. Our unique network of experts and innovators share their knowledge and expertise through the company’s Safari training and learning platform and at O’Reilly conferences. As a SaaS learning platform, Safari delivers highly topical and comprehensive technology and business learning solutions to millions of users across enterprise, consumer, and university channels. For more information visit oreilly.com.
Return to: O'Reilly Press Room