Please Sign Up to Request This Product
Take Control of iPhone and iPod touch Networking & Security, iOS 4 Edition
You need to be an approved reviewer to request a product. Please sign up to request access or login to your account.
If you've already signed up and you haven't heard from us yet please email email@example.com and we will check on your request.
Basic network connections from an iPhone or iPod touch are simple to make, but sometimes you need to go beyond the basics, whether to make unusual connections or to establish connections that are private and secure. In this ebook, you'll learn how networking expert Glenn Fleishman thinks about networking, and profit from his explanations and advice on key networking topics, such as the ins and outs of how you can create secure Wi-Fi connections, exploit alternative 3G data plans, tether your devices, conserve 3G data, connect Bluetooth devices, access files stored on local computers and in the cloud, protect personal data on your mobile device, and use Find My iPhone and other remote tracking software. Updated for Personal Hotspot and Verizon iPhone!
This ebook covers the usual GSM-based iPhone 4, the CDMA-based Verizon Wireless iPhone 4, as well as any older iPhone or iPod touch model that is running iOS 4.
Inside, you'll find advice and steps for how to:
- Make Wi-Fi connections: Connect via Wi-Fi at home or work, at a public hotspot, and with (or without) various forms of security. Glenn discusses the more modern and favored WPA and WPA2 security methods, and he explains why WEP and MAC addressing should be avoided (but how to deal with them if you must). You'll also find tips for setting up your home network to best work with the 2.4 GHz 802.11n networking found in the iPhone 4 and fourth-generation iPod touch.
- Connect your iPhone via 3G: Decide which data plan to sign up for, and get advice on limiting your use of the 3G network to stay within the bounds of your plan. Although Glenn focuses on AT&T's plans in the United States, overall, the information he provides is appropriate for everyone, no matter where you are. You'll also find tips about traveling to a different country with your iPhone.
- Connect your iPod touch via 3G: Learn about alternative 3G plans (in the United States) that put various mobile devices on the Internet.
- Use Bluetooth: Connect Bluetooth devices, such as headsets and keyboards, to your iPhone or iPod touch. Also learn how peer-to-peer pairing lets you connect multiple iOS devices to play a game.
- Access remote documents: Learn how to access remote documents wirelessly and find steps for using a variety of file-sharing apps, including Air Sharing HD, GoodReader, Dropbox, and iDisk.
- Control a computer remotely: Use a third-party app on your iOS device to take control of other computers remotely. Specific steps are given for iTeleport and LogMeIn Ignition.
- Protect your data and privacy: Understand what aspects of your documents, passwords, and privacy could be at risk should the wrong person gain access to your device or its network communications. You'll get advice for how to take preventative actions, and learn what you can do if your device is lost or stolen.
Receive free ebooks and videos in exchange for your reviews.
Learn more >