Fundamentals of Product Management
Published byO'Reilly Media, Inc.
In recent years, enterprises have been redefining and even creating new management roles. Among the fastest-growing of these is that of product management. But, given its relatively new place on the management stack and the wide variability of how it’s defined across organizations and industries, many people find that they are struck with a fundamental question: what exactly is product management? Why has it become such a critical role for organizations ranging from technology startups to Fortune 500 enterprises? And how do successful product managers generate value for their companies and their customers alike?
In this learning path, intended for those who are unfamiliar with the product management position, regardless of your current role or experience level, your host, Matt LeMay, takes you on a detailed exploration of product management through the lens of the CORE connective skills (communication, organization, research, and execution) that product managers must develop to ensure success, regardless of their specific title, organization, or industry. You’ll examine the various roles and titles of product management and their incumbent responsibilities. You’ll also look at the issues and challenges that product managers typically cope with, but also how you can add value to your customers, your team, and your organization as a whole.
What you’ll learn—and how you can apply it
- Why product management is a critical discipline for organizations of all kinds
- The roles, titles, and responsibilities of the product management ecosystem
- How product managers deliver value to customers across organizations and industries
- Common challenges and pitfalls faced by product managers
This learning path is for you because…
- You're a new product manager looking to better understand your role and the skills you need to develop
- You're a developer, designer, or other professional looking to become a product manager
- You're a manager or executive looking to hire product managers for your organization
Materials or downloads needed in advance: None/TBD
This book describes the fundamentals of product management in actionable, real-world terms, and lays out the CORE skills (communication, organization, research, execution) that product managers must develop to succeed across industries and organizations.
This video, part of a broader set around the same theme, provides examples of what the day-to-day work of product management looks like in practice.
This book clearly and concisely describes a product manager’s strategic imperative: to facilitate the two-way exchange of value between a company and its customers.