Introduction to Blockchain Applications
Published byO'Reilly Media, Inc.
Blockchain is a new, potentially disruptive technology that is attracting a lot of interest from individuals as well as organizations of all types and sizes. Today, blockchain is most famously associated with Bitcoin, the popular digital currency for which the technology was originally developed. But there's many more potential uses for this somewhat arcane technology, including publicly accessible ledgers for record-keeping of items such as contracts and property deeds. It can also be used to protect intellectual property, or for file storage, and there's even potential roles for it in governance. And due to its decentralized, distributed architecture, blockchain is both robust and theoretically incorruptible. Currently, though, blockchain technology is poorly understood, and although there is increasing interest in it, most people do not know what is being done with it and how it could be of value in a particular industry.
In this learning path, designed for those who are just beginning to look into this fascinating technology, your host, Dr. Jonathan Reichental, will help you to fully understand the scope of blockchain technology and how it can be used. Dr. Reichental describes a variety of applications in different industries. Upon completion, you will be knowledgeable enough to determine whether blockchain technology is worth exploring further for yourself or on behalf of your organization.
What you’ll learn—and how you can apply it
- A clear understanding of what blockchain technology is and how it works at a high level
- The origin story of blockchain technology in Bitcoin
- The many ways that blockchain technology is being used today and possibilities in the future
- Specific exploration of blockchain applications uses such as Ripple, Ethereum, Altchains, Altcoins, ICOs, Factom, Nasdaq Linq, Everledger, Hyperledge Fabric, and many more
This learning path is for you because…
- You're a business manager or technologist who wants to understand blockchain technology as it’s currently used and possible future uses
- You want to understand how blockchain might affect your industry
- You're a student who wants to determine whether you need to dive deeper into the subject
- You want to satisfy your curiosity about a set of technologies that are being discussed in many contexts
- Although it is not essential, you would benefit by having a basic understanding of common technology terminology, particularly databases
Materials or downloads needed in advance: None