Learning Path: Issues and Next Steps in Software Architecture
Being a software architect is more than just possessing technical knowledge. It’s about thinking like an architect, being a leader, and understanding the architectural elements, patterns, and styles necessary to create effective software architectures. In this Learning Path, learn the essential skills you need to be effective in this role.
CNN recently rated software architect the number one job in America. Yet, no clear path exists for moving from developer to architect. Why? Because software architecture is a massive multidisciplinary subject with no clear definition or job description, making it difficult to chart a course that covers all of the training and knowledge required to become an effective software architect.
This learning path contains self assessments – short, multiple-choice quizzes that you'll take as you work through a Learning Path. They give you quick insights into how you're doing and take the guesswork out of learning.
What you’ll learn—and how you can apply it
- Understand the four main aspects of being a software architect
- Understand the difference between architecture decisions and technology decisions
- Acquire crucial soft skills, such as how to communicate effectively as a team leader and how to match methodology with architecture to ensure a successful implementation
- Discover various techniques and patterns for integrating multiple applications and databases
- How to make your architecture more adaptable to changes in business and technology
- Understand application, integration, and enterprise architecture frameworks
- Understand the effect of modern engineering practices and the pros and cons of different approaches
This Learning Path is for you because…
- You are a senior-level developer who wants to become a software architect
- You are junior architect new to the role who wants to delve deeper
Prerequisites: Knowledge of development workflows and programming experience recommended
About the Publisher
O’Reilly’s mission is to change the world by sharing the knowledge of innovators. For over 40 years, we’ve inspired companies and individuals to do new things—and do things better—by providing them with the skills and understanding that’s necessary for success.
At the heart of our business is a unique network of experts and innovators who share their knowledge through us. O’Reilly online learning offers exclusive live training, interactive learning, a certification experience, books, videos, and more, making it easier for our customers to develop the expertise they need to get ahead. And our books have been heralded for decades as the definitive place to learn about the technologies that are shaping the future. Everything we do is to help professionals from a variety of fields learn best practices and discover emerging trends that will shape the future of the tech industry.