Learning Path: Modern Web Pillars—Performance
What is this learning path about, and why is it important?
For web developers, engineers, and designers, there is one credo that can’t be emphasized enough when it comes to the user experience (UX) you want your website’s visitors to have: performance matters. However, as technology evolves and the ways in which users interact with the web changes, you need to stay in stride with the kind of metrics and best practices that are crucial to good UX. This learning path, designed for entry- to intermediate-level developers, engineers, and designers, includes performance sessions from the O'Reilly Fluent Conference Web Pillars track. It also covers many of the most important topics for modern performance optimization, including why perceived performance matters to your business and bottom line, the newer web performance APIs that enable developers to measure site responsiveness, and how to incorporate performance tools such as WebPageTest and Lighthouse into your workflow.
What you’ll learn—and how you can apply it
- Understand why improving load times is critical to delivering a better UX
- How to apply psychology and UX research when it comes to optimizing for perceived performance over objective speed
- Learn the importance of responsiveness to user interactions and its implication on business and conversion metrics
- How to automate performance testing
- Understand why you should do performance testing in preproduction and how to integrate open source performance tools into your build/Continuous Integration systems
This learning path is for you because…
- You're a frontend developer/engineer who is focused on improving performance in your web app or site
- You're a DevOps engineer, and you'd like to learn strategies for automating performance with Continuous Integration
- You're a product, UX, or web designer and want to learn more about perceived performance and its impact on customers along with development strategies for improving performance
- You should have a basic understanding of the concepts of build automation or frontend performance optimization techniques
Materials or downloads needed in advance: None
About the Publisher
O’Reilly’s mission is to change the world by sharing the knowledge of innovators. For over 40 years, we’ve inspired companies and individuals to do new things—and do things better—by providing them with the skills and understanding that’s necessary for success.
At the heart of our business is a unique network of experts and innovators who share their knowledge through us. O’Reilly online learning offers exclusive live training, interactive learning, a certification experience, books, videos, and more, making it easier for our customers to develop the expertise they need to get ahead. And our books have been heralded for decades as the definitive place to learn about the technologies that are shaping the future. Everything we do is to help professionals from a variety of fields learn best practices and discover emerging trends that will shape the future of the tech industry.