Programming for Sysadmins
Published byO'Reilly Media, Inc.
This Learning Path introduces Python, Bash, Git, UI development, and Vim—five extremely powerful tools that are essential to effective system administration.
Programming and scripting skills empower you to automate routine tasks and manage systems of increasing complexity. Without these skills, you’re left to manage tasks and systems manually. If you’ve ever found yourself typing the same commands over and over, it may be time to learn to program.
This learning path contains self assessments – short, multiple-choice quizzes that you'll take as you work through a Learning Path. They give you quick insights into how you're doing and take the guesswork out of learning.
What you’ll learn—and how you can apply it
- You’ll learn how to write your own programs with Python and shell scripts with Bash to automate routine, complex tasks
- You’ll learn how to collaborate with Git to share your work and invite contributions from others
- You’ll learn how to mock up and implement design for user interfaces, to provide visual means of interacting with your programs and scripts
- You’ll learn how to take advantage of Vim’s rich feature set to be more productive
This Learning Path is for you because…
- You manage Linux-based servers or systems and need to expand your programming and scripting skills
Prerequisites: Experience using terminal interfaces and managing Linux systems
Materials or downloads needed in advance: Supplemental Content