Python for Machine Learning
Published byO'Reilly Media, Inc.
Python is among the most popular programming languages for handling big data analytics and creating machine learning applications. Data analysts, data scientists, and engineers are increasingly adopting Python as their go-to platform for processing massive datasets and extracting valuable insights.
This learning path shows you how to use Python to quickly get up and running with the latest techniques in machine learning. Whether you’re a programmer familiar with Python and interested in moving into the burgeoning world of big data and machine learning, or you’re a data scientist or engineer looking for a quick-start guide to common machine learning tasks, the combination of videos and text presented in this learning path will provide you with a big-picture overview of the Python environment as it relates to machine learning. You’ll learn how to create your first machine learning model, explore topics like supervised and unsupervised model training, and work with Python libraries and tools. You’ll also look at practical recipes and code that you can use to begin implementing your own machine learning solutions.
What you’ll learn—and how you can apply it
- Why machine learning has become so popular and what kinds of problems it can solve
- How to build your first machine learning model, using supervised learning, and how to relate what you’ve built to other applications in machine learning
- Which libraries and tools are essential to machine learning with Python, and how to install them for successful implementation
- How to inspect your data to determine important considerations, such as whether the task is easily solvable without machine learning or if the desired information might not be contained in the data you’re using
- Methods for loading data from a variety of sources, including CSV files and SQL databases
- How different algorithms are used for small- versus large-scale data, and how to decide which is most appropriate for your task
This LP is for you because…
- You're a programmer with experience using Python and are interested in machine learning applications
- You're a data analyst, data scientist, or engineer familiar with Python, and you want to learn how to get started implementing solutions to real-world machine learning problems
- You want to learn how to create and train models that can ingest huge amounts of data and reveal valuable patterns and information
- You should be familiar with Python and the NumPy and matplotlib libraries
Materials or downloads needed in advance:
- Install the following: Python 2 or 3, scikit-learn, NumPy, SciPy, matplotlib, IPython, and Jupyter Notebook