Learning Path: Web Performance Optimization Basics
In today’s increasingly demanding online world, one of the quickest ways to drive existing or potential customers and users to a competitor is by having a nonperformant website or app. With users becoming more discerning, you need to ensure that you’re providing the best web experience possible. This reality has pushed performance optimization to be one of the most important disciplines in app and website development. Well-designed and smooth-performing apps and sites can lead to greater conversion rates and a better user experience (UX) in all contexts.
What you’ll learn—and how you can apply it
- Set modern performance goals for your web content
- Detect problems and bottlenecks, and create a plan to mitigate them
- Enhance the user experience of your content, improving engagement and conversion rates
- Audit your website and web apps to see what's missing and how you can improve perception metrics
This learning path is for you because…
- You’re a web developer or designer looking to increase user experience and perception
- You're a web performance engineer looking to understand the modern metrics and techniques
- You work with webs and PWAs looking to offer the fastest possible experience to your users
- You want to become a performance engineer looking to understand the basics of web performance optimization
- You should be familiar with how a website is rendered on browsers and how to use a browser in general
Materials or downloads needed in advance:
- Node.js 10+
- The latest version of Chrome and Firefox installed
- Web Performance in Practice: This online training course provides a practical live experience on understanding web performance.
- Hacking Web Performance: This report introduces advanced and extreme techniques that you can apply to websites to improve web performance after the basics.
- High Performance Networking: A complete book to understand the network layer and why some web performance techniques ask you to do certain things.
- High Performance Mobile Web: Chapter 5 offers an insight of the APIs available on the client side to measure and improve performance; from Chapter 6 you can find a complete list of techniques and additional resources to improve performance.
- Designing for Performance: A complete reference from a designer's point of view about performance tuning apps and websites.
About the Publisher
O’Reilly’s mission is to change the world by sharing the knowledge of innovators. For over 40 years, we’ve inspired companies and individuals to do new things—and do things better—by providing them with the skills and understanding that’s necessary for success.
At the heart of our business is a unique network of experts and innovators who share their knowledge through us. O’Reilly online learning offers exclusive live training, interactive learning, a certification experience, books, videos, and more, making it easier for our customers to develop the expertise they need to get ahead. And our books have been heralded for decades as the definitive place to learn about the technologies that are shaping the future. Everything we do is to help professionals from a variety of fields learn best practices and discover emerging trends that will shape the future of the tech industry.