Why do best practices in software development matter? What are those practices in the first place? This video presents 10 key best practices for quality software development, explains why they are important to how you develop software, and shows how each practice relates to each other and the big picture of software development. You’ll learn how to set software development goals and metrics, how to determine if your software is "done", and more in this theory and practice course that uses running software examples to illustrate how these best practices are deployed in real life.
- Master the practices serious professionals use to create quality software
- Learn about version control and how to keep track of code versions and branches
- Understand the need for separate development, test, acceptance, and production environments
- Review the importance of continuous testing and explore the different types of tests
- Discover why you should automate deployment and when to use 3rd party code
- Understand the need for documentation and how to make sure you have "just enough"
- Learn to standardize the development process and enforce code quality standards
An all-round expert in software engineering and software quality, Zeeger Lubsen has worked for the past eight years as a consultant with the Netherlands based Software Improvement Group. A former developer for Octavalent and EXS Data Systems, Zeeger is a Professional Scrum Master who holds a Master of Science in Computer Science degree from the Delft University of Technology.
Table of Contents
Part 1: Introduction
- Introduction 00:01:21
- Welcome to the Course 00:03:52
- Overview of the 10 Best Practices for Building Software Teams 00:07:24
- Part 2: Goal-Question-Metric
Part 3: Definition of Done
- Defining What 'Done' Means 00:06:36
- Part 4: Version Control
- Part 5: Control DTAP
- Part 6: Automate Tests
Part 7: Continuous Integration
- Building and Testing Your Code without Manual Effort 00:10:02
- Setting Up a CI Server 00:09:15
- Part 8: Automate Deployment
- Part 9: Standardization
- Part 10: Third Party Code
- Part 11: Documentation
Part 12: Next Steps
- What's Next? 00:02:38
- Title: 10 Best Practices for Quality Software Development
- Release date: October 2016
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491970706