Cyber security - A Government, organisational and Public Risk
The 2010 National Security Strategy identified cyber attacks as one of the four highest-priority risks faced by the UK. President In the US, President Obama has declared cyber security as one of the most serious economic and national security challenges the US faces as a nation. While usually targeted on specific government or private sector organisations, cyber attacks can, and will, happen to anyone.
At the lower level, attacks are more widespread and are initially automated and indiscriminate - any organisation with an Internet presence will be scanned, potentially targeted and attacked.
Chinese Advanced Persistent Threats (APTs)
There is an Advanced Persistent Threat (APT) posed by organised crime and state level entities, targeting large multi-national corporations and foreign governments, with the objective of stealing information or compromising information systems.
The goal of an APT is not necessarily to bring a business down, but to stay embedded and suck information out of it at a slow, undetected pace. This is a major area of concern, in particular the number and severity of APTs coming out of China. The Chinese will use state sponsored 21st Century hacking technology to carry out a campaign of targeting and collecting intelligence against their chosen cyber targets, supporting the information necessary to become the next superpower.
Understand China's cyber warfare
21st Century Chinese Cyber warfare draws from a combination of business, cultural, historical, linguistic and the author's personal experience to attempt to explain China to the uninitiated. The objective of the book is to raise awareness of the fact that the People's Republic of China is using a combination of their unique culture, language, and political will, known as Chinese Communism, to maintain their cultural heritage.
This book is the first to gather the salient information regarding the use of cyber warfare doctrine by the People's Republic of China to promote its own hegemonistic, national self-interests and enforce its political, military and economic will on other nation states. The threat of Chinese Cyberwarfare can no longer be ignored. It is a clear and present danger to the experienced and innocent alike and will be economically, societally and culturally changing and damaging for the nations that are targeted.
21st Century Chinese Cyber warfare discusses:
- Statistics of the Chinese Cyber Threat.
- Chinese government cyber initiatives.
- Understanding the key motivators for government-sponsored cyber warfare.
- Commercial enterprises as a cyber threat vector.
- Nationalistic threads of Chinese hackers.
And much, much more.
Essential cyber security reading
Those that will find benefit from the book include: law enforcement agencies, international information security professionals, IT professionals, military professionals, government policy makers and corporate management."
Table of contents
- About The Author
- Chapter 1: The Chinese Cyberthreat
Chapter 2: Evolution of Chinese Cyberwarfare
- Overview of the Attackers
- Communist Party of China (CPC)
- People’s Liberation Army (PLA)
- State-owned Enterprises (SOE)
- Civilian Hackers (Hacktivists)
- Motivation of the People’s Republic of China
- History & Origins of Information Warfare in the People’s Republic of China
- An Overview of Chinese Cyberwarfare
- China’s “Cyber Command”
- Chapter 3: Chinese Unrestricted Warfare
- Chapter 4: Principles of Warfare - West versus East
- Chapter 5: Nature of Information Warfare
- Chapter 6: Chinese Cyberwarfare Doctrines
- Chapter 7: China’s SIGINT Capabilities
- Chapter 8: Chinese IW Capabilities
Chapter 9: The Chinese IW Organizational Structure
- Key PLA Departments: Integrated Network Electronic Warfare
- Technical Reconnaissance Bureaus (TRB)
- Military Branch Technical Reconnaissance Bureaus (MB TRB)
- Second Artillery Corps (SAC)
- Military Region (MR TRB)
- Shényáng Military Region
- General Staff Department Fourth Department
- PLA Information Warfare Militia Units
- Ministry of State Security
- (MID) Second Department - Intelligence
- (MID) Third Department - Intelligence
- Eleventh Bureau - Electronic Computers Bureau
- PLA Information Engineering University
Chapter 10: Chinese Commercial Enterprises
- The PRC’s Economic Leadership
- What is a Chinese State-owned Enterprise (SOE)?
- China’s SOEs
- Western Perspectives on Chinese SOEs
- China and Africa
- Chinese Telecommunications Companies in Africa
- Rare Earth Minerals (REM)
- Network Security & Chinese Telco Manufacturers
- Conclusions about Chinese SOEs & the Cyberthreat
Chapter 11: Commercial Objectives of Chinese Cyberattacks
- China: industry infiltration or data exfiltration?
- Commercial Victims of Chinese Cyberattacks?
- “Operation Ghost Net”
- “Shadows in the Cloud”
- “Operation Aurora”
- Google, Inc
- “Night Dragon”
- Multi-National Energy Companies
- “Operation Shady RAT”
- Healthcare and Pharmaceutical Products
- International Governments
- United Kingdom
- Chapter 12: Chinese Civilian Hackers
- Chapter 13: The Chinese Cyberthreat: Conclusions
- Appendix A: China & the Internet – A history
- Appendix B: Chinese Cyberactivism in the Spotlight
- Appendix C: China’s Informization Campaign
- Appendix D: General Wang Pufeng’s Challenge of Information Warfare
- Appendix E: “Through the Night of the Lantern”
- Appendix F: Chinese Hacker Website Resources
- Appendix G: Huawei’s Statement on Establishing a Global Cybersecurity Assurance System
- Appendix H: PLA’s National Defense University and China’s Cyberwar Preparations
- ITG Resources
- Title: 21st Century Chinese Cyberwarfare
- Release date: March 2012
- Publisher(s): IT Governance Publishing
- ISBN: 9781849283663
You might also like
Tribe of Hackers Red Team
Want Red Team offensive advice from the biggest cybersecurity names in the industry? Join our tribe. …
Hands-On Machine Learning with Scikit-Learn, Keras, and TensorFlow, 2nd Edition
Through a series of recent breakthroughs, deep learning has boosted the entire field of machine learning. …
Cybersecurity Blue Team Toolkit
A practical handbook to cybersecurity for both tech and non-tech professionals As reports of major data …
The Web Application Hacker's Handbook, 2nd Edition
The highly successful security book returns with a new edition, completely updated Web applications are the …