1. To develop skills in team process observation.
2. To develop skills in giving and receiving feedback in
interdependent team situations.
3. To become more aware of key communication skills required of all
Two (or even numbered) interdependent teams of 5 to 8 people.
At least 60 minutes but no longer than 90 minutes
The two groups sit in circles facing inward.
1. Paper and pens for observers.
Process Observation Guide.
1. The facilitator asks the teams to be seated in circles and explains
the purpose of the exercise, describing the general sequence of
2. One team is seated as the inner circle and the other team as the
3. The facilitator instructs members of the outer circle to observe one
(or more) inner circle participants’ effectiveness in the group
discussion using the Process Observation Guide. The facilitator
explains each of the eight items included in the Guide. Observers
are encouraged to take notes on examples of each of the items.
4. The facilitator assigns a discussion topic relevant to the groups.
5. After about 15 minutes, the facilitator asks the participants and the
observers to pair off and meet privately to give feedback and
discuss the process.
6. The process is reversed so that the inner circle team becomes the
outer circle. The facilitator assigns a new topic.