Giving Gifts: Quiz
When selecting a gift, always consider its symbolic significance. Gifts take on hidden meanings—
many that you might not be aware of. The list below contains several items that you might inno-
cently present to someone, only to find out later that the gift is considered inappropriate or even
insulting in another country. Before you choose and give a gift, ask yourself the following
• Does it violate any cultural or religious taboo?
• Does the color or the item itself, or the gift wrapping, have any unintended meaning?
• Is the gift appropriate to the occasion?
Now, match the gift with the country in which presenting it would be inappropriate.
1. Desk clock a. England
2. White lilies b. France
3. An unwrapped gift c. China
4. Yellow and white chrysanthemums d. Japan
5. A bottle of whiskey e. Italy
6. A set of knives f. Saudi Arabia
7. An item with a company logo on it g. Germany