A summary of the challenges facing today's IT project manager
Discussions on project management forums highlight many of the challenges facing a project manager during the course of a project. Unclear requirements, scope creep and undefined roles are well-trodden issues that can derail a project. Other challenges are less obvious, often more subtle, but equally destructive.
Facing up to the challenges
This book offers a focused and concise summary of 50 challenges facing today's IT project manager. The authors draw on years of practical experience (rather than classroom theory) to outline these challenges and offer useful tips and advice on how to deal with them.
Challenge and response
Readers of this book will be better equipped to respond to key project management challenges, including
- Building the team – getting the right resources, matching skills/knowledge, defining roles and responsibilities.
- Project scope – clarifying assumptions, avoiding ambiguity, getting the time/cost estimates right.
- Politics – communicating with management and stakeholders, dealing with conflict, handling interference and micro-managing.
- Risk awareness – identifying inside/outside influences, recognising inbound and outbound dependencies.
- Time management – using the right planning tools, balancing work versus meetings.
- Failure – handling the blame game, protecting the team, rescuing the project.
This book condenses into a handy summary much of the information and advice that can be found in project management related books and discussion forums. It is an ideal reference for anyone involved in IT project management, from professional service organisations (PSO) and project management offices (PMO), through to active project managers and studying graduates.
Buy this book and deliver your next project on time, on budget and to specification!
Table of contents
- Challenge 1: Unclear Requirements
- Challenge 2: Missed Requirement
- Challenge 3: Delay in Document Approvals
- Challenge 4: Scope Creep
- Challenge 5: Unclear Risks and Issues
- Challenge 6: Project Infrastucture Issues
- Challenge 7: Service Introduction Challenges
- Challenge 8: Undefined Project Dependencies
- Challenge 9: Project Methodology
- Challenge 10: Handling Escalation
- Challenge 11: Time-driven Projects
- Challenge 12: Undefined Roles and Responsibilities
- Challenge 13: Post-live Support Uncovered
- Challenge 14: Project Infrastructure Delivery Delayed
- Challenge 15: Unclear Quality Criteria
- Challenge 16: Unstructured Project Costing
- Challenge 17: Resource Utilisation
- Challenge 18: Revision of Estimates and Timescales
- Challenge 19: Vendor Quality Issues
- Challenge 20: Wrong Assumptions
- Challenge 21: Unclear Business Rollout Approach
- Challenge 22: Project Cancellation
- Challenge 23: Project Operational Issues
- Challenge 24: Undefined Project Critical Path
- Challenge 25: Time and Cost Issues
- Challenge 26: Overestimation of Projects
- Challenge 27: Unmanageable Plan
- Challenge 28: Overspent Projects
- Challenge 29: Vendor Payment Milestone Issues
- Challenge 30: Poor Source Code Quality
- Challenge 31: Process Interference
- Challenge 32: Project Colour Coding
- Challenge 33: Project Go-live Failures
- Challenge 34: Project Prototype Failure
- Challenge 35: Critical Team Member Absence
- Challenge 36: Insufficient Schedule Information
- Challenge 37: Insufficient Domain Knowledge
- Challenge 38: Insufficient Technical Knowledge
- Challenge 39: Delay in Starting Project
- Challenge 40: Missing Teamwork
- Challenge 41: Performance Appraisal Conflicts
- Challenge 42: Project Synergy Missing
- Challenge 43: Stakeholder’s Micromanagement
- Challenge 44: Project Status Report Issues
- Challenge 45: Vendor Contract Confusion
- Challenge 46: War with PMO
- Challenge 47: Ambiguous statement of Work
- Challenge 48: Ambiguous Non-functional Requirements
- Challenge 49: Too Many Meetings
- Challenge 50: Troubled Project Rescue
- ITG Resources
- Title: 50 Top IT Project Management Challenges
- Release date: February 2012
- Publisher(s): IT Governance Publishing
- ISBN: 9781849283434
You might also like
The Standard for Risk Management in Portfolios, Programs, and Projects
The Standard for Risk Management in Portfolios, Programs, and Projects is an update and expansion upon …
Project Management: A Managerial Approach, 8th Edition
Meredith's newest edition of Project Management focuses on all facets of the steps needed to successfully …
PMP Project Management Professional Study Guide, 5th Edition
This fully integrated study resource contains complete coverage of every topic on the PMP exam This …
The Standard for Program Management — Fourth Edition
Programs have proven to be vital when implementing strategic initiatives—and are ultimately critical to organizational success. …