12 50 Training Activities for Administrative, Secretarial, and Support Staff
Activity 3 (concluded)
• Who does what in the company
• Working conditions
• Health and safety
• Customer service mission statement
2. Decide the objective for your questionnaire. For example:
• To meet a variety of people in different departments
• To find out about health and safety procedures
• To familiarize new employees with work flow
3. Prepare your questionnaire to meet your specific objectives. Use one of the
worksheets (3-1, 3-2, or 3-3) or create your own.
4. Make copies of the questionnaire for each participant.
5. Prepare model answers to the questionnaires.
Important Note for the Trainer
Whenever you run this type of activity in an organization, as a matter of courtesy,
you must inform those people who are likely to be approached by new members of
staff and ask for their cooperation and assistance.
1. Give each participant a copy of your chosen questionnaire.
2. Explain the purpose of the activity:
• To help participants orient themselves around the building/site by requiring
them to make personal visits
• To help participants build a personal network of contacts by requiring them
to introduce themselves to others and discuss their work
• To help participants become self-sufficient in their search for information/
resources within the organization
3. Set a time limit for the participants’ research.
4. Give feedback in a variety of ways:
• Run group sessions so that an exchange of information can take place.
• Hold one-on-one meetings so that you can give individualized feedback.
• Allow the participants to check their findings against model answers that
you have prepared in advance.
5. Deal appropriately with any gaps in their knowledge.