“There are many good books on publicity. Yudkin certainly matches all the others and actually exceeds them in two areas—humor and creativity.”
Want the world to know who you are, what your company offers, or the urgency of your cause? With the popularity of the Internet, it’s never been easier for an ordinary Jane or Joe to use publicity to spread the word. Whether you want to attract new business, establish yourself as an expert, build your company’s reputation, or introduce a new concept to the community, free publicity is the cheapest, most credible way to do it.
This thoroughly updated edition of 6 Steps to Free Publicity includes detailed tips and techniques for utilizing 21st century grassroots publicity techniques—from blogs and social media to viral videos and podcasting-along with the basics of earning ink or air time. It also covers:
* Getting started—how to overcome fears, feel comfortable with fame, and think up newsworthy publicity angles.
* How to write tip sheets, pitch letters, articles, and news releases that roll out your message and keep you in people’s minds and files.
* How to perform on radio, TV, or the Web like a pro.
* Publicity writing tips that ensure you’ll be easily found online through search engines.
* Strategies for building an audience of fervent fans online or within a geographical or special-interest community.
* A full range of attention-getting techniques, from wacky and quirky to serious and highly respectable.
Read 6 Steps to Free Publicity with highlighter and notebook in hand, because it inspires creative exploits and powerful publicity campaigns...that cost next to nothing!
Author of 11 books, Marcia Yudkin has been turning words into money since 1981, when her first freelance article appeared in The New York Times. She is the author of Web Site Marketing Makeover and Internet Marketing for Less than $500/Year. She has landed publicity in The Wall Street Journal, Entrepreneur, Success Magazine, Women in Business, USBanker, and dozens of newspapers around the world. Yudkin lives in Goshen, Massachusetts
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Table of Contents
PART I - GETTING STARTED WITH PUBLICITY
- Chapter 1 - Riches...Credibility...Prestige...Opportunity- What Publicity Can ...
- Chapter 2 - Thinking Like a Publicity Hound
- Chapter 3 - The Comfort Factor: Exposure Without Feeling Exposed
PART II - WRITING TO GET PUBLICITY
- Chapter 4 - 6 Steps to Free Publicity: Creating and Distributing a News Release
- Chapter 5 - Supporting the Story With a Media Kit or Online Media Room
- Chapter 6 - Letters That Pitch for You, Rattle the Public, or Roll Out Your Message
- Chapter 7 - Tip Sheets That Keep You in People’s Minds, Files, and Favorites
- Chapter 8 - Painlessly Publishing Articles Yourself
- Chapter 9 - Advertorials That Don’t Cost You a Cent
PART III - SPEAKING AND ACTING FOR PUBLICITY
- Chapter 10 - Staging Magnet Events
- Chapter 11 - Speaking, for Fee or Free
- Chapter 12 - Hitting the Airwaves, on the Radio, TV, or the Web
- Chapter 13 - Schmoozing That Puts You in the Public Eye
PART IV - POLISHING YOUR PUBLICITY SKILLS
- Chapter 14 - Cooperating With Reporters
- Chapter 15 - Performing on Radio and TV Like a Pro
- Chapter 16 - Pitching Over the Phone
- Chapter 17 - 10 Pitfalls in Publicity Writing—and How to Avoid Them
- Chapter 18 - 77 Ways to Get Unstuck When Trying to Write
- Chapter 19 - Getting Sizzling, Forceful Testimonials
- Chapter 20 - How to Concoct Creative Angles, Images, and Exploits
- Chapter 21 - Becoming Findable Through Search Engines
- Chapter 22 - Making Time to Publicize
PART V - KEEPING THE PUBLICITY MOMENTUM GOING
- Chapter 23 - Capitalizing and Building on Your Free Publicity
Chapter 24 - Resources for Your Publicity Campaigns
- MEDIA DIRECTORIES AND OTHER REFERENCE WORKS
- ONLINE MEDIA DIRECTORIES (NO COST)
- PURCHASABLE OR SUBSCRIPTION-ACCESS MEDIA DATABASES OR LISTS
- NEWS RELEASE DISTRIBUTION SERVICES
- EVENT PUBLICITY SERVICES
- LEADS SERVICES
- EDITORIAL CALENDARS
- CLIPPING SERVICES
- TELESEMINAR TOOLS
- RECOMMENDED BOOKS
- RECOMMENDED PUBLICATIONS
- PUBLICITY RESOURCES
- PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS
- RECOMMENDED MEDIA COACHES
- RESOURCES ON SEARCH ENGINES
- OTHER RECOMMENDED ONLINE RESOURCES
- About the Author
- Title: 6 Steps to Free Publicity
- Release date: October 2008
- Publisher(s): Career Press
- ISBN: 9781601630278