Do you need a release for a photo of someone you took in public? How about photos of buildings? Does it make a difference if the subject was paid to be in the picture? You can't answer these questions without more information. As the photographer, you need to understand your buyer's concerns in order to make savvy decisions about how you market your photos and to whom. Here's how to make money from all your photos, whether or not they have releases, by understanding the business aspects of the law.
Table of contents
- About the Author
- INTRODUCTION: How We Got Here
- 1. Everyone's Doing It. So What's Wrong?
2. What's a Model Release?
- 2.1. GETTING ON THE SAME PAGE
- 2.2. WHO IS RESPONSIBLE?
- 2.3. LITIGATION IN A NUTSHELL
- 2.4. MINIMIZING YOUR INVOLVEMENT
- 2.5. THE LICENSEE'S RESPONSIBILITY
- 2.6. THE PRACTICAL APPROACH
- 2.7. THE ROLE OF ETHICS
- 2.8. WAR STORIES FROM THE MUDDY MIDDLE
- 2.9. THE BOTTOM LINE IN BUSINESS
- 3. Understanding "Use"
- 4. Analyzing the Need for a Model Release
- 5. Dissecting a Model Release
6. Dealing with Photos of Property
- 6.1. UNDERSTANDING COPYRIGHTS
- 6.2. UNDERSTANDING TRADEMARKS
- 6.3. ASSESSING VALUE
- 6.4. IMPLICATIONS FOR MODEL RELEASES
- 6.5. TESTING THE TRADEMARK SYSTEM
- 6.6. CONSIDERATIONS FOR COPYRIGHTS
- 6.7. SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS FOR PHOTOS OF BUILDINGS
- 7. The Business of Licensing
- Title: A Digital Photographer's Guide to Model Releases: Making the Best Business Decisions with Your Photos of People, Places and Things
- Release date: March 2008
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9780470228562
You might also like
Business Model You: A One-Page Method For Reinventing Your Career
A one-page tool to reinvent yourself and your career The global bestseller Business Model Generation introduced …
Benefit Corporation Law and Governance
Corporations with a Conscience Corporations today are embedded in a system of shareholder primacy. Nonfinancial concerns—like …
The B Corp Handbook, Second Edition, 2nd Edition
“This book shows how using business as a force for good, not just pursuing short-term profits, …
Reinventing the Supply Chain Life Cycle, Student Workbook
With this up-to-date, hands-on study guide to accompany the innovative reference on managing the supply chain …