Combining theory and application, A Practical Guide to Stage Lighting provides a comprehensive analysis of lighting systems along with examples and illustrations of the technical tools and methods used in the industry.
An entertaining and educational read, author Steven Louis Shelley draws from his 35+ years of diverse experience to explain how to get the job done along with real-life examples of projects from start to finish. Learn why some techniques are successful while others fail with 'Shelley's Notes' and 'Shelley's Soapbox,' all with a humor that guides you through complex problems and concepts.
-Over 100 new topics, including analysis and application of the three categories of collaboration; a detailed examination of production meetings and one-on-one meetings; and meeting checklists with management and the creative team.
-Over 50 new illustrations, including Shelley's Periodic Table of Fundamental Lighting Systems; groundplans, sections, and front elevations that illustrate basic system wash configurations for each direction of light.
-Analysis, calculation, and step-by-step technical construction of each lighting system in the Hokey light plot.
-Explanation of a manufacturer's cut sheet, and how to apply basic formulas to determine the beam size, footcandles, and gel transmission for lighting instruments.
-Updated process of pre-programming computer lighting consoles prior to the load-in.
-Comprehensive overview of archiving paperwork and softcopy for a production.
Students and professionals will benefit from experience-based tips and techniques to prepare and execute a lighting design, along with learning how to avoid common traps.
Table of contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Table of Contents
- Acknowledgments for the Third Edition
- Chapter 1 A Review
- Chapter 2 Paperwork Overview
Stage 1 Research and Analysis
- Chapter 3 Background Preparations and Preliminary Design Paperwork
- Chapter 4 The Parameters
Stage 2 Construction and Reaction: Preliminary Documents
- Chapter 5 Create the Preliminary Drawings
- Chapter 6 Creating the Preliminary Lighting Section and Light Plot
- Chapter 7 Compiling and Sending Out the Shop Order
- Chapter 8 Cuts and Changes
Stage 3 Preparation and Implementation: The Lighting Design is Documented and Installed
- Chapter 9 The Light Plot, Section, and Support Paperwork Packet
- Chapter 10 The Load-In and Focus Packet
- Chapter 11 The Cue Construction Packet
- Chapter 12 Prior to the Load-In
- Chapter 13 The Load-In and Setup
- Chapter 14 The Focus Session
- Chapter 15 The Light Cue Level Setting Session and Technical Rehearsals
- Chapter 16 The Performance
- Stage 4 Archive and Final Activities: The Lighting Design is Cleaned Up and Stored
- Appendix A
- Appendix B
- Title: A Practical Guide to Stage Lighting, 3rd Edition
- Release date: October 2013
- Publisher(s): Routledge
- ISBN: 9781135902353
You might also like
The Art and Science of Business Communication, 4e, 4th Edition
The book aims at preparing students for effective communication at the workplace by focusing on how …
Need serious help with your résumé? Turn to the employment expert Dr. Phil calls “the best …
A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide), Fifth Edition
A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK ®
Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
Even bad code can function. But if code isn't clean, it can bring a development organization …