Configuring Your Machine
These are the main steps to configuring your machine to use a mobile wireless device such as a GPRS modem or a phone:
- Prepare the device,
- Connect the modem or phone,
- Establish communications using a terminal emulator program, and
- Configure PPP so your computer can use the connection for network (TCP/IP) communications.
This appendix provides brief instructions on how to get started.
C.1 RAW INGREDIENTS
- A computer with either a GPRS data card or a GPRS modem. I have had good results using an external Siemens MC35 GPRS modem, cost is around $250 given the current US exchange rate (£150 GBP).
- The SIM.
- The APN settings.
- Knowledge of either Linux or Windows dial-up networking, modem configuration, etc.
- Patience! ...