Being saddled with a terrible supervisor can turn even the best job into a nightmare. Unfortunately, not every boss is the great symbol of managerial perfection one would hope for. In fact, more people than not consider themselves stuck with a "bad boss." But short of remaining miserable or quitting a job, what can be done about it? "A Survival Guide for Working with Bad Bosses" provides readers with savvy, practical advice for coping with managers and supervisors who are mean, incompetent, unethical, and worse. The book includes powerful strategies for not only working with -- but thriving under -- such bad boss types as: * The Great Betrayers -- how to defend yourself against a corporate backstabber * The Know-Nothing Bosses -- what to do when a boss is clueless * The Bad Communicators -- how to respond when a boss is consistently unclear Whether a boss is high-strung, incompetent, or a power-mad tyrant, this book has the solution.
Table of contents
I. Not Fit for Command
- 1. The No-Boss Boss
- 2. The Pass-the-Buck Boss
- 3. Clueless but Connected
- 4. Scatterboss
- 5. Critically Clueless
- 6. The Dishonest “Genius”
II. That’s Unfair!
- 7. On Overload
- 8. Only Good Enough to Train Others
- 9. No Backup
- 10. No Excuses
- 11. That’s Perfect—Not!
- 12. Promises, Promises
- 13. No Trust
- 14. You’re Great, But ...
III. Power Players
- 15. Just for Sport
- 16. Turning Yeses into No’s
- 17. The Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing
- 18. Controlling the Control Freak
- 19. Bad Boss in a Big Bureaucracy
- 20. Breaking Through the Bureaucracy
- 21. It Goes with the Territory
- 22. Who’s the Boss?
IV. Out of Bounds
- 23. Dirty Looks
- 24. A New Boss Is Insulting and Abusive
- 25. Call 911
- 26. Drunk, Disorderly, and Untouchable
- 27. The Intrusive Boss
- 28. Party Planner
- 29. Cultural Divide
V. Ethical Challenges
- 30. Dealing with Danger
- 31. The Cover-Up
- 32. It’s a Crime!
- 33. Sex and Faxes
- 34. Give In to Collective Denial or Leave?
VI. Putting It All Together
- 35. Bad Boss or Bad Employee?
- 36. How Bad Is Your Boss? An Assessment Quiz
- 37. Knowing How to Deal
- About the Author
- Title: A Survival Guide for Working with Bad Bosses: Dealing with Bullies, Idiots, Back-Stabbers, and Other Managers from Hell
- Release date: November 2005
- Publisher(s): AMACOM
- ISBN: None
You might also like
You, Only Better
If you want to be happy, fulfilled and energised its probably best not to obsess over …
Hands-On Machine Learning with Scikit-Learn, Keras, and TensorFlow, 2nd Edition
Through a series of recent breakthroughs, deep learning has boosted the entire field of machine learning. …
Data Science from Scratch, 2nd Edition
To really learn data science, you should not only master the tools—data science libraries, frameworks, modules, …
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …