1. “Petition the White House with We the People,” WhiteHouse.gov, Sept. 22, 2011, http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2011/09/22/petition-white-house-we-people.
2. Ian Morris, Why the West Rules—For Now (New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2011), 607.
3. David Warsh, Knowledge and the Wealth of Nations (New York: W. W. Norton, 2006), 288–304.
4. David Deutsch, The Beginning of Infinity: Explanations That Transform the World (New York: Viking, 2011).
5. For the best discussion of this process, see Joel Mokyr, The Lever of Riches: Technological Creativity and Economic Progress (New York: Oxford University Press, 1992).
Chapter 1: The Ever Expanding Domain of Computation
1. On the idea of domains in technologies, see Brian ...