Planning Maternity or Family Leave: A Guide
by Rebecca Knight
- Find out how much time you’re entitled to
- Draft a transition-out plan and transition-back memo
- Set communication boundaries for your leave
- Let go of work projects while you’re away
- Check in with your boss before your return
Taking any amount of time off work can be nerve-wracking, even if it’s for a happy event like having or adopting a baby. What’s the best way to get ready for your maternity or family leave? How should you set boundaries? Should you check in with your team while you’re out? And how do you plan your return?
What the Experts Say
Very few organizations have “a standard operating procedure” for employees taking parental time off, says Joan C. Williams, ...