This chapter presents the most difficult core Java technology to understand and master: multithreading. So far, you have been writing code to run in a single thread of execution. It runs serially, start to finish. You may have the need, however, to multithread, or execute multiple passages of code simultaneously.
You will learn about:
• suspending execution in a thread
• creating and running threads by extending Thread
• creating and running threads by implementing Runnable
• cooperative and preemptive multitasking
• stopping threads
• locks and conditions
• thread priorities
• the timer classes
• basic design principles for multithreading ...