Is psychology a science? Or merely common sense? Consider the battery of quotes for and against science and common sense.
- A scientist is a man who would rather count than guess. M. Gluckman
- Science is organized common sense where many a beautiful theory is felled by an ugly fact. T. H. Huxley
- Science may be described as the art of systematic oversimplification. K. Popper
- The man of science does not discover in order to know: He wants to know in order to discover. A. N. Whitehead
- Science increases our power in proportion as it lowers our pride. C. Bernard
- Science is what you know, philosophy is what you don’t know. B. Russell
- You know very well that unless you are a scientist, it’s much more important for a theory to be shapely than for it to be true. C. Hampton
- Science is always wrong: It never solves a problem without creating ten more. G. B. Shaw
- I am tired of all this sort of thing called science … We have spent millions on that sort of thing for the last few years, and it is time it should be stopped. S. Cameron
One of the most pernicious falsehoods ever to be universally accepted is that scientific method is the only reliable way to the truth. R. Bube
- Traditional scientific method has always been, at the very least, 20–20 hindsight. It’s good for seeing where you’ve been. R. Pirsig
- Though many have tried, no one has ever yet explained away the decisive ...