1. Robert W. Fuller, Somebodies and Nobodies: Overcoming the Abuse of Rank (Gabriola Island, British Columbia: New Society Publishers, 2003).
2. “R-E-S-P-E-C-T,” O, The Oprah Magazine, Apr. 2003, p. 196.
3. Ableism is used, alternatively, to refer to the fear of people with disabilities—analogously to homophobia —and also to the abuse and discrimination they are the targets of.
4. Betty Friedan, The Feminine Mystique (New York: Norton, 1997), p. 15.
5. Thanks to Eileen Hammer for bringing this analogy to my attention.
6. Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America (New York: Harper & Row/Perennial Library, 1988), Vol. II, Part IV, ch. 6.
7. For example, John Rawls, A Theory of Justice (Cambridge, Mass.: Belknap Press, ...