Analyzing the Social Web provides a framework for the analysis of public data currently available and being generated by social networks and social media, like Facebook, Twitter, and Foursquare. Access and analysis of this public data about people and their connections to one another allows for new applications of traditional social network analysis techniques that let us identify things like who are the most important or influential people in a network, how things will spread through the network, and the nature of peoples' relationships. Analyzing the Social Web introduces you to these techniques, shows you their application to many different types of social media, and discusses how social media can be used as a tool for interacting with the online public.
- Presents interactive social applications on the web, and the types of analysis that are currently conducted in the study of social media.
- Covers the basics of network structures for beginners, including measuring methods for describing nodes, edges, and parts of the network.
- Discusses the major categories of social media applications or phenomena and shows how the techniques presented can be applied to analyze and understand the underlying data.
- Provides an introduction to information visualization, particularly network visualization techniques, and methods for using them to identify interesting features in a network, generate hypotheses for analysis, and recognize patterns of behavior.
- Includes a supporting website with lecture slides, exercises, and downloadable social network data sets that can be used can be used to apply the techniques presented in the book.
Table of contents
- Cover image
- Title page
- Table of Contents
- List of Figures
- Chapter 1. Introduction
- Chapter 2. Nodes, Edges, and Network Measures
- Chapter 3. Network Structure and Measures
- Chapter 4. Network Visualization
- Chapter 5. Tie Strength
- Chapter 6. Trust
- Chapter 7. Understanding Structure Through User Attributes and Behavior
- Chapter 8. Building Networks
- Chapter 9. Entity Resolution and Link Prediction
- Chapter 10. Propagation in Networks
- Chapter 11. Community-Maintained Resources
- Chapter 12. Location-Based Social Interaction
- Chapter 13. Social Information Filtering
- Chapter 14. Social Media in the Public Sector
- Chapter 15. Business Use of Social Media
- Chapter 16. Privacy
Chapter 17. Case Study: Social Network Strategies for Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse
- Related work and background of the zombie apocalypse
- Network strategies for the individual: Avoiding infection
- Network strategies for the government: Stopping the spread
- Network strategies for the individual: Obtaining information
- Network strategies for the government: Information sharing
- Title: Analyzing the Social Web
- Release date: February 2013
- Publisher(s): Morgan Kaufmann
- ISBN: 9780124058569
You might also like
Hands-On Data Analysis with Pandas
Get to grips with pandas - a versatile and high-performance Python library for data manipulation, analysis, …
Mining the Social Web, 3rd Edition
Mine the rich data tucked away in popular social websites such as Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and …
Deep Learning Illustrated: A Visual, Interactive Guide to Artificial Intelligence
“The authors’ clear visual style provides a comprehensive look at what’s currently possible with artificial neural …
Data Science from Scratch, 2nd Edition
To really learn data science, you should not only master the tools—data science libraries, frameworks, modules, …