With this practical video, UX designers will learn the principles and actionable methods for talking about their ideas with executives, marketers, and others who have influence over a web or app project—with the goal of winning over these stakeholders and creating the best user experience.
Every designer must justify their designs to non-designers, yet most lack the ability to explain themselves in a way that fosters agreement. This video will not only help UX designers articulate their ideas, but will also be valuable for non-designers who want to learn to work better with designers.
- Identify distractions and remove them so you can focus on the real issues regarding the usability and effectiveness of a design
- Make a case for your designs by directly connecting them to the needs of the business
- Use data, user testing, and other compelling research to justify your design decisions
- Ask your stakeholders to explain their needs and suggestions in ways that you can understand, and that everyone agrees on
- Be sure you uncover the real problem they’re trying to solve
- Filter out unnecessary information, and as soon as possible send a follow-up to the entire team
Tom Greever is a designer, consultant, and trainer for Bitovi.com, a web app design and development consulting shop in Chicago. Tom has been designing websites and interfaces since 1999 in a variety of environments, including internal corporate design teams and as a freelancer, with clients ranging from startups to Fortune 100s. Tom also blogs and speaks about UX and design at industry conferences.
Table of Contents
- A Maturing Industry 00:12:21
- Great Designers are Great Communicators 00:16:49
- Understanding Relationships 00:19:22
- Reducing Cognitive Load 00:08:58
- Listening is Understanding 00:14:09
- The Right Frame of Mind 00:11:24
- The Response: Strategy and Tactics 00:15:40
- The Response: Key Messages 00:12:42
- The Ideal Response 00:11:14
- Meeting Adjourned 00:07:19
- Recovering from Disaster 00:13:49
- For Non-Designers 00:14:02
- Designing for Vision 00:13:33
- Title: Articulating Design Decisions
- Release date: July 2015
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491921579