An Emmy-award-winning journalist reveals how to ask the QUESTIONS that make a difference.
What hidden skill links successful people in all walks of life? What helps them make smart decisions? The answer is surprisingly simple: They know how to ask the right questions at the right time.
Questions help us break down barriers, discover secrets, solve puzzles, and imagine new ways of doing things. But few of us know how to question in a methodical way. Emmy-award-winning journalist and media expert Frank Sesno aims to change that with Ask More.
From questions that cement relationships, to those that help us plan for the future, each chapter in Ask More explores a different type of inquiry. By the end of the book, you’ll know what to ask and when, what you should listen for, and what you can expect as the outcome. Packed with illuminating interviews, the book explains:
- How the Gates Foundation used strategic questions to plan its battle against malaria
- How turnaround expert Steve Miller uses diagnostic questions to get to the heart of a company’s problems
- How NPR’s Terry Gross uses empathy questions to dig deeper
- How journalist Anderson Cooper uses confrontational questions to hold people accountable
- How creative questions animated a couple of techie dreamers to brainstorm Uber
Both intriguing and inspiring, Ask More shows how questions convey interest, feed curiosity, and reveal answers that can change the course of both your professional and personal life.
Table of contents
- Title Page
- Chapter 1: Why Ask?
- Chapter 2: Something’s Not Right: Diagnostic Questions
- Chapter 3: The General’s Charge: Strategic Questions
- Chapter 4: From the Inside Out: Empathy Questions
- Chapter 5: The Gentle Interrogator: Bridging Questions
- Chapter 6: For the Record: Confrontational Questions
- Chapter 7: Imagine This: Creativity Questions
- Chapter 8: The Solvable Problem: Mission Questions
- Chapter 9: Into the Unknown: Scientific Questions
- Chapter 10: The Edison Test: Interview Questions
- Chapter 11: The Inspired Host: Entertaining Questions
- Chapter 12: Lessons for Life: Legacy Questions
- Chapter 13: I’m Glad I Asked
- Question Guide
- About the Author
- Title: Ask More
- Release date: January 2017
- Publisher(s): AMACOM
- ISBN: 9780814436721
You might also like
Storytelling with Data
Influence action through data! This is not a book. It is a one-of-a-kind immersive learning experience …
The Rules of Thinking
The Rules of Thinking
Bulletproof Problem Solving
Complex problem solving is the core skill for 21st Century Teams Complex problem solving is at …
Servant Leadership in Action
“The only way to create great relationships and results is through servant leadership. It's all about …