The ASP.NET MVC Framework has always been a good platform on which to implement REST-based services, but the introduction of the ASP.NET Web API Framework raised the bar to a whole new level.Now in release version 2.1, the Web API Framework has evolved into a powerful and refreshingly usable platform. This concise book provides technical background and guidance that will enable you to best use the ASP.NET Web API 2 Framework to build world-class REST services.
New content in this edition includes:
• New capabilities in Web API 2 (currently version 2.1).
• Support for partial updates, or PATCH.
• API versioning.
• Support for legacy SOAP-based operations.
• How to handle non-resource APIs using REST
• How to best expose relationships between resources
• JSON Web Tokens, CORS, CSRF
Get ready for authors Jamie Kurtz and Brian Wortman to take you from zero to REST service hero in no time at all. No prior experience with ASP.NET Web API is required; all Web API-related concepts are introduced from basic principles and developed to the point where you can use them in a production system. A good working knowledge of C# and the .NET Framework are the only prerequisites to best benefit from this book.
Table of contents
- Contents at a Glance
- About the Authors
- About the Technical Reviewers
Chapter 1: ASP.NET as a Service Framework
- Advantages of Using the ASP.NET Web API
- A Few Feature Highlights of the ASP.NET Web API
- Chapter 2: What Is RESTful?
- Chapter 3: Designing the Sample REST API
- Chapter 4: Building the Environment and Creating the Source Tree
Chapter 5: Up and Down the Stack with a POST
- NHibernate Configuration and Mappings
- Managing the Unit of Work
- Database Transaction Control
- Diagnostic Tracing
- Error Handling
- Persisting a Task and Returning IHttpActionResult
Chapter 6: Securing the Service
- The Main Idea
- Securing the POST
- Securing Non-Resource API Operations
- GET a Task
- Applying Token-Based Security
- SSL, XSS, CORS, and CSRF
Chapter 7: Dealing with Relationships, Partial Updates, and Other Complexities
- Task and User Relationships
- Partial Update of a Task Using PUT/PATCH
- Validation Using an Action Filter
- Paging of Results
- Hypermedia Links
- Chapter 8: Supporting Diverse Clients
- Chapter 9: Completing the Picture
- Title: ASP.NET Web API 2: Building a REST Service from Start to Finish
- Release date: August 2014
- Publisher(s): Apress
- ISBN: 9781484201091
You might also like
Beginning Ada Programming: From Novice to Professional
Discover the Ada programming language by being gently guided through the various parts of the language …
Messy code is a nuisance. "Tidying" code, to make it more readable, requires breaking it up …
Getting Started with Advanced C#: Upgrade Your Programming Skills
Understand and work with the most important features of advanced C# in different programming environments. This …
Modern Software Engineering: Doing What Works to Build Better Software Faster
Improve Your Creativity, Effectiveness, and Ultimately, Your Code In Modern Software Engineering, continuous delivery pioneer David …