Practical, concise, and approachable, Audio Engineering 101, Second Edition covers everything aspiring audio engineers need to know to make it in the recording industry, from the characteristics of sound to microphones, analog versus digital recording, EQ/compression, mixing, mastering, and career skills. Filled with hand-ons, step-by-step technique breakdowns and all-new interviews with active professionals, this updated edition includes instruction in using digital consoles, iPads for mixing, audio apps, plug-ins, home studios, and audio for podcasts. An extensive companion website features fifteen new video tutorials, audio clips, equipment lists, quizzes, and student exercises.
Table of contents
- Cover Page
- Audio Engineering 101
- About the Author
- 1 What Is Sound? Seven Important Characteristics
- 2 How to Listen. Remember When Your Parents Told You to Listen? Well, You Should Have Listened!
- 3 EQ Points of Interest. Frequencies Made Easy
- 4 Mixing Consoles. So Many Knobs, So Little Time
- 5 Signal Flow. The Keys to Directing Audio Traffic
- 6 Microphone Guide and Their Uses. Hey, Is This Thing On?
- 7 Signal Processors. Toys You Could Play With for Days!
- 8 Studio Session Procedures. How a Recording Session Happens and in What Order
- 9 Basic Acoustics. How to Make Your Recording Space Sound Better
- 10 The History of Audio. It Helps to Know Where You Came From
- 11 People Skills. Recording Isn’t All Technical!
- 12 Now That I Am Dangerous, Should I Get an Internship?
13 Jobs. What Can I Do With These Skills?
- Live Sound Engineer
- Recording Studio Engineer
- Assistant Engineer
- Mastering Engineer
- Audio for Games
- Radio Production Engineer
- Producer: Hip-Hop/Edm
- Live DJ
- Music and Equipment Sales
- Equipment Maintenance and Repair
- Diy Electronics
- The Home Studio
- Take a Business or Accounting Class
- Tips for Success
- Show me the Money
- 14 FAQs. Hear It From the Pros
- Appendix A: Balanced versus Unbalanced; More on Decibels
- Appendix B: Audio Connectors
- Title: Audio Engineering 101, 2nd Edition
- Release date: October 2017
- Publisher(s): Routledge
- ISBN: 9781317210153
You might also like
It’s Music, Not Theory, Damn It!
Music theory? No such thing. Let - It’s Music, Not Theory, Damn It! - and companion …
In the modern workplace, clearly defined hierarchies are on the wane, few of us have ‘jobs …
Logic Pro X 10.4 - Apple Pro Training Series: Professional Music Production
Record, arrange, mix, produce, and polish your audio files with this best-selling, Apple-certified guide to Logic …
Working with Mindfulness
'Working with Mindfulness is an engaging and practical guide to reducing stress, transcending setbacks and enhancing …