The best plan is useless without effective execution
The future of business has become so unpredictable that your five-year plan may be irrelevant next week. To succeed in the modern market, you must constantly assess your progress and adapt on the fly. Agility, flexibility, continual learning, and adaptation are the new rules of business success. A differentiating strategy is crucial, but it will only lead to competitive advantage if you execute it flawlessly. You'll succeed only if you have the right insight for strategic planning and the agility to execute your plan.
Balanced Scorecard Evolution: A Dynamic Approach to Strategy Execution provides the latest theory and practice from strategic planning, change management, and strategy execution to ensure your business is flexible, future ready, and primed for exceptional execution. Author Paul R. Niven guides you through the new principles of The Balanced Scorecard and shows you how to apply them to your planning and strategy execution endeavors.
Read case studies that illustrate the theory and practice of strategic agility and execution
Learn how to create the objectives, measures, targets, and strategic initiatives that can make your plan a reality
Use the latest change management techniques to boost strategy execution success
Gain the knowledge and tools you need to face your challenges head-on
Motivate your employees to change behaviors toward plan accommodation
Making a plan isn't enough. You must actually take steps to implement your plan, and this requires excellent leadership skills. Change can be hard, and your organization may be resistant. Balanced Scorecard Evolution: A Dynamic Approach to Strategy Execution provides everything you need to make things happen.
Table of Contents
- Chapter 1 What Exactly Is a Balanced Scorecard?
Chapter 2 Just Like the Boy Scouts: Be Prepared
- First Things First: Why Are You Developing a Balanced Scorecard?
- Answering the Question: Why the Balanced Scorecard and Why Now?
- Possible Reasons for Launching a Balanced Scorecard
- Send Yourself a Postcard from the Future
- Start with a Provocative Action
- Overcoming Skepticism
- Benefits of a Guiding Rationale
- Where Do We Build the Balanced Scorecard?
- Criteria for Choosing an Appropriate Organizational Unit
- Executive Sponsorship: A Critical Element of Any Balanced Scorecard Program
- Sponsorship Advice for Executives
- Your Balanced Scorecard Team
- Managing the Balanced Scorecard on an Ongoing Basis: The Office of Strategy Management
- Functions of the Office of Strategy Management
- Your Balanced Scorecard Development Plan
- Be Fast, but Be Thoughtful in Your Approach
- Developing a Communication Plan to Support Your Balanced Scorecard Initiative
- Final Assessments to Make Before You Begin Building a Balanced Scorecard
- Chapter 3 Balanced Scorecard Building Blocks: Mission, Vision, and Strategy
- Chapter 4 Conduct Effective and Engaging Workshops
Chapter 5 Building Powerful Strategy Maps That Tell Your Strategic Story
- What Is a Strategy Map?
- Why You Need a Strategy Map
- The Spectrum of Strategic Plans
- Developing Strategy Map Objectives
- Developing Objectives for Each of the Four Perspectives
- Which Value Proposition Is Best?
- Using Strategic Themes in the Development of a Strategy Map
- Developing a Shared Understanding with Objective Statements
- How Many Objectives on a Strategy Map?
Chapter 6 Create a Balanced Scorecard of Robust Measures, Meaningful Targets, and Strategic Initiatives
- What Are Performance Measures?
- Creating Better Performance Measures
- Attributes of Effective Performance Measures
- Measures for Each of the Four Perspectives
- Recording Your Measures: Creating a Performance Measure Data Dictionary
- Targets: The Goals That Bring Measures to Life
- Do You Need All Three Types of Targets?
- Strategic Initiatives: Projects That Drive Breakthrough Performance
- Chapter 7 Hold Strategy Execution Meetings So Good, People Actually Want to Attend
- Chapter 8 Let Everyone Demonstrate Their Contribution by Cascading the Balanced Scorecard
- Chapter 9 Integrating Change Management Techniques to Drive Balanced Scorecard Success
- About the Author
- End User License Agreement
- Title: Balanced Scorecard Evolution: A Dynamic Approach to Strategy Execution
- Release date: August 2014
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9781118726310