Data science is an ever-evolving field, with exponentially growing popularity. Data science includes techniques and theories extracted from the fields of statistics, computer science, and most importantly machine learning, databases, and visualization.
This video course consists of step-by-step introductions to analyze data and the basics of statistics. The first chapter focuses on the steps to analyze data and which summary statistics are relevant given the type of data you are summarizing. The second chapter continues by focusing on summarizing individual variables and specifically some of the reasons users need to summarize variables. This chapter also illustrates several procedures, such as how to run and interpret frequencies and how to create various graphs. The third chapter introduces the idea of inferential statistics, probability, and hypothesis testing.
The rest of the chapters show you how to perform and interpret the results of basic statistical analyses (chi-square, independent and paired sample t-tests, one-way ANOVA, post-hoc tests, and bivariate correlations) and graphical displays (clustered bar charts, error bar charts, and scatterplots). You will also learn when to use different statistical techniques, how to set up different analyses, and how to interpret the results.
What You Will Learn
- Get familiar with the basics of analyzing data
- Exploring the importance of summarizing individual variables
- Use inferential statistics
- Know when to perform the Chi-Square test
- Differentiate between independent and paired samples t-tests
- Understand when to use a one-way ANOVA and post-hoc tests
- Get well-versed with correlations
This course is for developers who are interested in entering the field of data science and are looking for a guide to the statistical concepts.
About The Author
Jesus Salcedo: Jesus Salcedo has a PhD in psychometrics from Fordham University. He is an independent statistical consultant and has been using SPSS products for over 20 years. He is a former SPSS Curriculum Team Lead and Senior Education Specialist who has written numerous SPSS training courses and trained thousands of users.
Table of contents
- Chapter 1 : The Basics of Analyzing Data
- Chapter 2 : Summarizing Individual Variables
- Chapter 3 : Understanding Inferential Statistics
- Chapter 4 : Digging into Chi-square Tests of Independence
- Chapter 5 : Performing T-Tests
- Chapter 6 : Exploring ANOVA
- Chapter 7 : Working with Correlation
- Title: Basic Statistics and Data Mining for Data Science
- Release date: December 2017
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781788476782
You might also like
Advanced Statistics and Data Mining for Data Science
Data Science is an ever-evolving field. Data Science includes techniques and theories extracted from statistics, computer …
Statistics for Data Science
Get your statistics basics right before diving into the world of data science About This Book …
Data Science Fundamentals Part 2: Machine Learning and Statistical Analysis
21+ Hours of Video Instruction Data Science Fundamentals Part II teaches you the foundational concepts, theory, …
Predictive Analytics: Data Mining, Machine Learning and Data Science for Practitioners, 2nd Edition
Use Predictive Analytics to Uncover Hidden Patterns and Correlations and Improve Decision-Making Using predictive analytics techniques, …