Visualization is the graphic presentation of data -- portrayals meant to reveal complex information at a glance. Think of the familiar map of the New York City subway system, or a diagram of the human brain. Successful visualizations are beautiful not only for their aesthetic design, but also for elegant layers of detail that efficiently generate insight and new understanding.
This book examines the methods of two dozen visualization experts who approach their projects from a variety of perspectives -- as artists, designers, commentators, scientists, analysts, statisticians, and more. Together they demonstrate how visualization can help us make sense of the world.
- Explore the importance of storytelling with a simple visualization exercise
- Learn how color conveys information that our brains recognize before we're fully aware of it
- Discover how the books we buy and the people we associate with reveal clues to our deeper selves
- Recognize a method to the madness of air travel with a visualization of civilian air traffic
- Find out how researchers investigate unknown phenomena, from initial sketches to published papers
Nick Bilton,Michael E. Driscoll,Jonathan Feinberg,Danyel Fisher,Jessica Hagy,Gregor Hochmuth,Todd Holloway,Noah Iliinsky,Eddie Jabbour,Valdean Klump,Aaron Koblin,Robert Kosara,Valdis Krebs,JoAnn Kuchera-Morin et al.,Andrew Odewahn,Adam Perer,Anders Persson,Maximilian Schich,Matthias Shapiro,Julie Steele,Moritz Stefaner,Jer Thorp,Fernanda Viegas,Martin Wattenberg,and Michael Young.
Table of contents
- Beautiful Visualization
1. On Beauty
- What Is Beauty?
- Learning from the Classics
- How Do We Achieve Beauty?
- Putting It Into Practice
2. Once Upon a Stacked Time Series
- Question + Visual Data + Context = Story
- Steps for Creating an Effective Visualization
- Hands-on Visualization Creation
- Wordle's Origins
- How Wordle Works
- Is Wordle Good Information Visualization?
- How Wordle Is Actually Used
4. Color: The Cinderella of Data Visualization
- Why Use Color in Data Graphics?
- Luminosity As a Means of Recovering Local Density
- Looking Forward: What About Animation?
- References and Further Reading
5. Mapping Information: Redesigning the New York City Subway Map
- The Need for a Better Tool
- London Calling
- New York Blues
- Better Tools Allow for Better Tools
- Size Is Only One Factor
- Looking Back to Look Forward
- New York's Unique Complexity
- Geography Is About Relationships
- Sweat the Small Stuff
- 6. Flight Patterns: A Deep Dive
- 7. Your Choices Reveal Who You Are: Mining and Visualizing Social Patterns
- 8. Visualizing the U.S. Senate Social Graph (1991–2009)
- 9. The Big Picture: Search and Discovery
- 10. Finding Beautiful Insights in the Chaos of Social Network Visualizations
- 11. Beautiful History: Visualizing Wikipedia
- 12. Turning a Table into a Tree: Growing Parallel Sets into a Purposeful Project
- 13. The Design of "X by Y"
- 14. Revealing Matrices
- 15. This Was 1994: Data Exploration with the NYTimes Article Search API
16. A Day in the Life of the New York Times
- Collecting Some Data
- Let's Clean 'Em First
- Python, Map/Reduce, and Hadoop
- The First Pass at the Visualization
- Scene 1, Take 1
- Scene 1, Take 2
- The Second Pass at the Visualization
- Visual Scale and Other Visualization Optimizations
- Getting the Time Lapse Working
- So, What Do We Do with This Thing?
- 17. Immersed in Unfolding Complex Systems
18. Postmortem Visualization: The Real Gold Standard
- Impact on Forensic Work
- The Virtual Autopsy Procedure
- The Future for Virtual Autopsies
- References and Suggested Reading
19. Animation for Visualization: Opportunities and Drawbacks
- Principles of Animation
- Animation in Scientific Visualization
- Learning from Cartooning
- Presentation Is Not Exploration
- Types of Animation
- Staging Animations with DynaVis
- Principles of Animation
- Conclusion: Animate or Not?
- Further Reading
20. Visualization: Indexed.
- Visualization: It's an Elephant.
- Visualization: It's Art.
- Visualization: It's Business.
- Visualization: It's Timeless.
- Visualization: It's Right Now.
- Visualization: It's Coded.
- Visualization: It's Clear.
- Visualization: It's Learnable.
- Visualization: It's a Buzzword.
- Visualization: It's an Opportunity.
- A. Contributors
- B. Colophon
- About the Authors
- Title: Beautiful Visualization
- Release date: June 2010
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781449379865
You might also like
Visualize This: The FlowingData Guide to Design, Visualization, and Statistics
Practical data design tips from a data visualization expert of the modern age Data doesn't decrease; …
Data Points: Visualization That Means Something
A fresh look at visualization from the author of Visualize This Whether it's statistical charts, geographic …
Intro to Python for Computer Science and Data Science: Learning to Program with AI, Big Data and The Cloud
This is the eBook of the printed book and may not include any media, website access …
Data Science from Scratch, 2nd Edition
To really learn data science, you should not only master the tools—data science libraries, frameworks, modules, …